Battery cable and alternator upgrade questions

Faster Behr

Club Member
I'm replacing the existing 2/0 gauge (70mm²) battery cables on my Fairlady Z project. They are far too big and are improperly jointed. Our 280Z has 4 gauge factory wiring which equates to 21mm² - but the cables are arguably shorter due to the battery position (LHD) so there is little voltage drop. I was planning on using 25mm² which I happen to have kicking around. I'm keen to know what everyone else has used?

My battery has clearly been over charging in the past. Rather than mess around I'd like to update the externally regulated alternator to an internally regulated replacement. I'll be adding a fuel pump and some small additional electrical loads so the more power the better. I have read through a few articles but I'm struggling to understand A) what alternator I need and B) what I need to do to alter the wiring - there's mention of a plug conversion that some people have used? Any help on this would be very welcome.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
The alternator swop is straightforward as long as you can source a 280zx alternator and the special plug to enable internal regulation and prevent 'running on'. It's well covered on this forum.

toopy

Club Member
This is the plug in adapter you need to bypass the external regulator, check the connection on your existing regulator is the same first though.
https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic10b04/12-4067

Most people have used a 280zx 60 Amp alternator which i believe is plug and play with the above adapter, there are also threads detailing the use of Mazda MX5 alternators or similar as well.

There never seems to be any mention of upgraded wiring to compliment the higher output, but I'm assuming peak voltage is rarely needed anyway unless your adding high power additional equipment, and therefore for the most part the existing cabling can more than cope.
It's obviously prudent though to check the condition of the existing wiring properly, especially underneath the fusible links and the links themselves, plus the spliced joints in the original engine bay loom if you can find them.

25mm2 cable is around 100 amps capacity i believe.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I used this battery cable. Multi core for flexibility - it's about 9mm dia core.

Make sure your -ve is well 'grounded' from the bellhousing and with a smaller cable at the battery ( to body).

Attachments

• 20220425_145048.jpg
    20220425_145048.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 17

Faster Behr

Club Member
That’s 50mm2 cable there Rob. You’d need a bank loan to buy that in this current economic climate 😂

Thanks for your responses both. I’ll check all this out when I’m back with the car in the morning.

Pondo

Club Member
I know BAE sell these.

Attachments

• A1DDA673-6CC8-42B0-9992-9061CBE201EE.jpeg
    A1DDA673-6CC8-42B0-9992-9061CBE201EE.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 3751E131-CF6D-4527-A31F-F20FA3B3FE97.jpeg
    3751E131-CF6D-4527-A31F-F20FA3B3FE97.jpeg
    348 KB · Views: 19

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
That’s 50mm2 cable there Rob. You’d need a bank loan to buy that in this current economic climate 😂

Thanks for your responses both. I’ll check all this out when I’m back with the car in the morning.
I ran it from my battery through the bulkhead (well insulated) to a 'cut-off' switch on the centre console and then to the starter so a long run. It was a rally car.

I soldered the terminals (not crimp).

What length of cable do you need?

Faster Behr

Club Member
I only need to cross from the battery to the starter terminal so it’s just over a metre. The 25mm that I’ve got is good for 115 Amps so I’ll give it a whirl. It’s such a short run so the resistance and voltage drop will be tiny.

I’ll have a look at the wiring into the voltage regulator tomorrow to see if it looks to be compatible with the diode plug. I need a speedo drive seal kit so I’ll see if I can combine and get both from MSA too.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I only need to cross from the battery to the starter terminal so it’s just over a metre. The 25mm that I’ve got is good for 115 Amps so I’ll give it a whirl. It’s such a short run so the resistance and voltage drop will be tiny.

I’ll have a look at the wiring into the voltage regulator tomorrow to see if it looks to be compatible with the diode plug. I need a speedo drive seal kit so I’ll see if I can combine and get both from MSA too.
What happens if you have to crank the engine for a while? I think you may get the same effect as cheap 'jumper cables'.

Last edited:

Faster Behr

Club Member
You could come along anyway and meet us.
I'd rather have my head under the bonnet at the moment if I am honest, plus I have intermittent work commitments. But we will make some shows later this year for sure.

T3 emailed me last night to say they have finally got my front hubs machined for the RB "Golden Retriever" - ordered in November - so I'm hoping to have that on the road for the summer as well as the Fairlady.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Looking at your pictures you appear to have an ammeter 'shunt' under the voltage regulator.

I've seen those on a 260Z.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
if you have an ammeter, you have a shunt.
on 240z, shunt was part of the ammeter apparently

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
if you have an ammeter, you have a shunt.
on 240z, shunt was part of the ammeter apparently
Yeh, I have read that before Jon.

My point was that I was surprised to see a shunt box on this 240Z, perhaps that is special to the Fairlady?

So what is is different on the electrical side?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Yeh, I have read that before Jon.

My point was that I was surprised to see a shunt box on this 240Z, perhaps that is special to the Fairlady?

So what is is different on the electrical side?

It's an early 1974 production dated Fairlady Z-L, so it features many of the electrical systems updates seen on an early 1974 production dated UK market 260Z (plus many Japan-specific extras).