Batteries

Craig_260

Well-Known Forum User
Just a quick question, my 260 battery has gone flat (my fault). Are the 240 and 280 batteries interchangeable? I rang a local stockist up and he had no 260z listed but he had a 240 and 280z battery listed so im just wondering if I can get one of those and it will be ok? its basically the same car just engine size i believe but i just want to confirm.

Craig

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I don't know about compatibilty but there is usually a number (3 digits) on a battery which defines it's power and physical design. If you can find that number on your battery buy the same - if you think it's correct fitment.

Is your battery beyond a recharge?

Craig_260

Well-Known Forum User
it seems so Rob its been on charge with 3 diff chargers and still nothing. ill check the numbers and get back to him see if they match up. there is a battery in Hal"frauds" but its £100 and these are £60 so hopefully i can match them up

status

Well-Known Forum User
iAbattery should not cost more than £70 for your Zed,remamber to take your battery clamp to make sure it fits nice and snug

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
thank you Moggy im not sure which number i should be comparing though?

the Numax battery has the sizes so that you can compare to your old one to make sure it is the same size.

and it will easily start your car as the 280zx has a lot more electronics etc to run

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Having not used the Z for a week I was surprised to have had to jump start it. The battery wasn't great but it's gotten worse over time.

So, is there a battery you guys would recommend to replace the monster that already sits there with the positive terminal millimetres from the body work!? See below ...

vapeva8y.jpg

status

Well-Known Forum User
If you know where to go and dont go to the likes of Halfords and quick fit you will get a battery for about 65 quid or less,if you need one gis a shout,56 quid mine cost me last year

Stockdale

Club Member
There was a battery thread a couple of moths ago but I can't find it.

I spent a long time trying to find a suitable and correct battery for my 74 260z. I eventually found one at Advanced Battery Supplies in Stockport who have been around for a long time. They do a delivery service (although I collected mine) and supply an extensive range of vintage and classic cars. It was sensibly priced (i paid £35.00 incl VAT a little over a year ago). Staff are helpful and knowledgeable and the battery looks entirely correct, fits perfectly and is so far has been absolutely faultless. www.advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk

andrew muir

Club Member
I have a Varta E23 battery which is strong as an OX even after 3 years, I don't even disconnect it over the winter!
I don't use the original battery clamp as it was a liability anyway, but just a basic clamp from halfords which works a treat, was £70 delivered. From advanced battery supplies.
If you junk the original battery clamp I think any battery can be used as long as its powerfull enough and fits inside your battery tray, just make sure you get the terminals the correct way round.

grahamjc

Well-Known Forum User
seems to be the standard thing to go wrong first.... does anyone have the correct battery model (IE. for Halfords)??

Dale

Club Member
I bought a Yuasa Silver Calcium battery last year. Stronger start up and lasts longer between usage so handy when the cars not driven daily. Has a nice little indicator on it so you know if its running low.

grahamjc

Well-Known Forum User
I bought a Yuasa Silver Calcium battery last year. Stronger start up and lasts longer between usage so handy when the cars not driven daily. Has a nice little indicator on it so you know if its running low.

Sounds good.... where did you get it from?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I called advanced battery supplies for the same a while back and they wanted the dimensions of the battery, which to this day I haven't had a chance to measure! So what model number etc did you use Dale?

Ali K

grahamjc

Well-Known Forum User
I called advanced battery supplies for the same a while back and they wanted the dimensions of the battery, which to this day I haven't had a chance to measure! So what model number etc did you use Dale?

Ali K

Halfords asked me the same....

Dale

Club Member
This one here, from Halfrauds.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bu...-12v-silver-car-battery-hsb057-5-yr-guarantee

It's narrower than it should be so needs some adapting of the clamp or an alternative clamp to keep it secure. I've just wedged it with the original clamp but it's not ideal.

Also, note where the positive and negative terminals are. You will want the positive away from the inspection lid and car body. Most batteries are the other way around.

I'm not saying this is the best battery or the correct one or anything, it's just what I have and it works for me.