bang!

240z

Club Member
Luckily not the engine, but managed to find the limits of my toyota gearbox on Saturday, whilst on a track day at Colerne. At least I had a good half day!:(

Was overtaking in 2nd foot to the floor, then bang! - rattle rattle rattle.. not good.

Anyone know any good contacts for a Toyota w58 gearbox (out of MKIV N/A supra, MKIII supra etc.)? want to get it back and ready for santa pod and japfest.

what I will have to do though, is work out a tow point, as I realised not being able to get to the car towed to the road, and having to drive in 4th v slowly, with a v hot clutch!

Anyone got any good pics or ideas where/how to fit a tow point on the front (with airdam intact)?

Luckily the AA were great, no questions asked - which I wasn't expecting!

johnymd

Club Member
The R154 is stronger but harder to find. Its the manual box thats fitted to this engine. The W58 goes with the lower powered 7M's

I think!

240z

Club Member
Thanks Rob,

Yep mine is w58 with the longest extension housing, but not remote (like in the MKIV N/A supra?). You can just swap over the extension housings though.

The 1JZs have R154s and W58s behind them, depending on the vehicle they are out of, mine was a supra. R154 is a stronger option, but meant to be not quite as smooth, much more expensive, and I would probably be looking at new mounts and prop shaft. I am thinking about it though, especially if I break another W58 !

240z

Club Member
I have now found my w58, out of a N/A mkiii supra, just hope it is a good one!

Now to get it to the garage, does anyone near Bristol have a car trailer, or know where to hire?

datsun dave

Club Member
I have now found my w58, out of a N/A mkiii supra, just hope it is a good one!

Now to get it to the garage, does anyone near Bristol have a car trailer, or know where to hire?

Might be better to have it pick up by a transport company its a lot less hassle than doing it yourself !!!!!.

240z

Club Member
yes! :thumbs: got the gearbox sorted, the stick is slightly further forward, as I knew it would, but at least I know a fairly commonplace stock for them now in case it goes bang again.

Had a fantastic drive back from cardiff yesterday, the 'box seems a lot smoother and quicker than the last one, maybe the old one had been on it's way out for a while..

The pull up the recovery vehicle on the tow hook on a tow point attached to the rear bumper mount was a bit nerve wracking, I can tell you.. pulling the car up on 2 old bolts :rolleyes:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Phil, never mind Santa Pod with that new gearbox, what about Japfest the day before?

Last edited by a moderator:

240z

Club Member
thanks for the support, I'll definitely be at Japfest, already on the paid list! I know I won't get away with another car day on the following day though, but I WILL be going to a santa pod day soon. I want to see if any of my updates have made any difference...