Ban on petrol and diesel cars

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
A lot in the papers today about all new petrol and diesel cars being banned by 2040. It is being described as 'the end of the internal combustion engine'.
But what none of the papers or TV reports ever mention is the classic car scene - what impact will all of this have on the thousands of people who own and run classics?
I presume we will still be able to drive petrol cars after 2040 but will there still be petrol stations around in which to buy fuel?
Also in all the talk about the dreaded driverless cars, the only question the media seems to address is whether they are safe or not.
What no-one seem to ask is: what about all those people who ENJOY driving - who don't want to be ferried about in a tedious machine which drives itself?
In these articles, all those journos seem to treat cars as purely a means of getting around. They seem to forget about the driving experience which of course will be lost.

Its all smoke and mirrors.

The ban is on on new cars after that date only having an ICE. Cars will have to have hybrid powertrains, so can still have a petrol/diesel engine also.

cars registered before that point are not effected.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
There will still be a requirement for diesel or petrol to run home generators for charging the electric cars. :devil:

I read about the ban today and then I thought - **** I won't care by then anyway!

This 'clean air' thing does make sense. I remember when unleaded came in and cats - I thought 'what a load of rubbish' but have you started your Datsun and stood by the exhaust - bit different than a modern car. Just imagine what towns would be like if we were still on un-restricted emissions.

Let's see how it all unfolds - what I can predict is ever increasing charges for polluting cars. Motorsport - who knows?

status

Well-Known Forum User
Time to sell the Zed and get thousands as that's wot they are going for or those that have bin up for sale for months,people might know something,someone will come up with an electric motor for our zeds

johnymd

Club Member
An electric powered zed has already been done.

Electric cars are the future and there's no disputing that. The demand for petrol will rapidly decline so inevitably will go up in price and become harder to obtain. I'll be too old to worry about it by then so the fact that classics will be worthless wont bother me.The evolution of the motor car has been rapid so I see no reason why that should change now.

status

Well-Known Forum User
Totally agree there Jon,think there will be a big increase in hybrids to start with then they will evolve into full electric,my keyboard player has the Toyota 4x4 hybrid,can't remember the model,big thing,has all the tricks on it but is like driving a boat

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
My friend's tesla model S does a real world 250-280 miles per charge (against a claimed 350) - which is enough for any journey we do as a family. I'd buy that car tomorrow if it was affordable. And they will be sooner Jan we think.

There is immense money going into battery tech at a scale not seen before, so we will see viable electric cars. And we'll love the unbelievable torque - we will miss the soundtrack though. One pumped through the sound system will never be the same. But equally we won't miss the noise nuisance from engine / drivetrain noise.

I agree with Rob. Imagine how smelly your Zed is! Now imagine following me with the added flavour of 20W50 ;)

Wyn

Club Member
So how will they tax the electricity for cars as they do the fuel now ?
No one is mentioning that ?

All these zero tax cars will be a thing of the past soon I bet to pay for it all :p

andrew muir

Club Member
I drove my sisters Leaf while in Sacramento the other day. Pretty rubbish really, Only 65 mile range if lucky after 3 years of age and they don't like the heat. Mind you it was 45degrees.
6000 dollars for new battery.
As a side note never saw a single s30 zed in the states after driveing over 2000 miles in 3 different states!

Last edited by a moderator:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Time to sell the Zed and get thousands as that's wot they are going for or those that have bin up for sale for months,people might know something,someone will come up with an electric motor for our zeds

Except 260Zs and shagged, s/h Beemers.

Farmer42

Club Member
It's not disputed that battery technology will advance enough to give a good range and performance for electric cars. The problem lies with the infrastructure to enable them to be charged and the amount of time it would take to charge them.

You can't charge a battery in the same time it takes to fill up your tank with diesel or petrol and what happens to all those people in flats or apartments that have to park on the street? I don't think the Government will put enough investment into providing the charging points everywhere. It will need a lot more thought put into it before we see the end of the ICE.

Sometimes I would like to wire some of these officials & politicians up to the Grid!!

cosworth415

Club Member
A lot in the papers today about all new petrol and diesel cars being banned by 2040. It is being described as 'the end of the internal combustion engine'.
But what none of the papers or TV reports ever mention is the classic car scene - what impact will all of this have on the thousands of people who own and run classics?
I presume we will still be able to drive petrol cars after 2040 but will there still be petrol stations around in which to buy fuel?
Also in all the talk about the dreaded driverless cars, the only question the media seems to address is whether they are safe or not.
What no-one seem to ask is: what about all those people who ENJOY driving - who don't want to be ferried about in a tedious machine which drives itself?
In these articles, all those journos seem to treat cars as purely a means of getting around. They seem to forget about the driving experience which of course will be lost.

Chill ! It's all gonna be fine

Attachments

• IMG_0273.PNG
    IMG_0273.PNG
    3.8 MB · Views: 42

cosworth415

Club Member
Red Barchetta

Seems funny the Rush song Red Barchetta at the time sounded so unrealistic but now all coming true, it's about a young guy who finds his uncles motor in his garage and takes it for a drive in the country after the ban on motor vehicles, have a listen it's good :driving:

yellowz

Club Member
I think it will be battery packs that get swapped in/out. That's good enough to get a plane in the air so why not a car down the road. Your local Esso will become a battery swap station for those who can't charge and swap at home.