Badging question

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
My 260Z has got all the correct badging (namely, it says just Datsun on the tailgate and 260Z at the bottom of the front wings).
I always felt it was a shame it didn't say 260Z on the rear tailgate (like the 240Z does).
Then I found this badge for sale on the net, described as a 'tailgate badge for the 260Z' (see pics). I bought it and put it on the tailgate and am very pleased with it as it matches the car very nicely. It came from Kuwait of all places.
It was described as an after-market item. I realise it was never on the original UK-spec 260Z but does anyone know whether it appeared on any original 260Z model - maybe the US-spec one?
Whatever, I intend to keep it as it looks nice and subtle and blends well with the Datsun badge. It is what Datsun should have put on in the first place, in my opinion.
Any thoughts anyone?

10306d1333704654-badging-question-p4060461-jpg

10307d1333704654-badging-question-p4060462-jpg

Attachments

• P4060461.JPG
    P4060461.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 57
  • P4060462.JPG
    P4060462.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
Emblems

Riddler,

Here is a scan of one of the emblems pages (08/73 on) from the final version of the S30 parts book, which illustrates each ornament's location. It looks as if the "260Z" emblem was used in markets where the hatch spoiler was not factory fitted, e.g. the USA.

Attachments

• Emblems Scan.jpg
    Emblems Scan.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 21

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Riddler,

Here is a scan of one of the emblems pages (08/73 on) from the final version of the S30 parts book, which illustrates each ornament's location. It looks as if the "260Z" emblem was used in markets where the hatch spoiler was not factory fitted, e.g. the USA.

Excellent - thanks for that. So it WAS an original item - but looking at the diagram it seems to have been located in a different position to where I have put mine. I notice that the Datsun badge is different too - not in the script-style writing of mine. Interesting.

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
Emblems

No doubt the "260Z" emblem was original in some markets (see link below). Ignore the "Datsun" graphic from the parts book scan, as it is only representative of positioning on the car. The "Datsun" script on your car looks right. You need to go by the part number, rather than what the fiche graphic looks like.

Datsun 260Z Badge | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
No doubt the "260Z" emblem was original in some markets (see link below). Ignore the "Datsun" graphic from the parts book scan, as it is only representative of positioning on the car. The "Datsun" script on your car looks right. You need to go by the part number, rather than what the fiche graphic looks like.

Datsun 260Z Badge | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Good find. I understand now - the badges were on the tailgate itself rather than the spoiler.

Anyway, if anyone else with a 260 is interested in buying the badge, here is where I got mine:

Datsun fairlady 260z hatch emblem Badge new | eBay