Badge positioning

grb184

Club Member
All,

my previous owner has deleted all of the badges on my 260z and I have ordered the appropriate badges and clips, but I have a couple of questions, which would be grateful if anyone could answer

1. Is there any information/diagram anywhere on exactly where the badges should be positioned? (Where exactly on the wings, bonnet, spoiler)

2. when drilling the holes, what size drill should I use?

Thanks in advance.

Graham

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I was under the impression that Samuris don't usually have them because of the livery painted in their place - I mean you could probably get away with the bonnet badge but that's probably about it?

grb184

Club Member
I was under the impression that Samuris don't usually have them because of the livery painted in their place - I mean you could probably get away with the bonnet badge but that's probably about it?
Matt,

Having looked at various pictures, it appears that some Samuri's have deleted all badges, others certain badges, and others have full badge sets (which I tend to prefer), the livery on those with badges seems to be set off to the right of the bonnet and the centre of the rear spoilers and have nothing Samuri specific on the front wings.

I would just like to ensure if and when i attach them, if possible I get them in the right place.

Thanks

Graham

TimFZ

Club Member
Hi, my car too has had the holes deleted during the respray. I was going to surface mount them instead of drill through. I can see plenty of pictures but because mine is not a 260Z but a Fairlady Z I assume badges are slightly different. Is the bonnet badge a "Z" and I am assuming the others just say "Fairlady Z" but what is the angle to place the badge on the boot if I have no spoiler? Most peoples are diagonal (I'm guessing at about 30 degrees from horizontal) but is this the case on the Fairlady and what is the actual angle of the text?

Thanks! Tim

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi, my car too has had the holes deleted during the respray. I was going to surface mount them instead of drill through. I can see plenty of pictures but because mine is not a 260Z but a Fairlady Z I assume badges are slightly different. Is the bonnet badge a "Z" and I am assuming the others just say "Fairlady Z" but what is the angle to place the badge on the boot if I have no spoiler? Most peoples are diagonal (I'm guessing at about 30 degrees from horizontal) but is this the case on the Fairlady and what is the actual angle of the text?

Thanks! Tim

Bonnet badge is a Z:

IMG_6233_grande.JPG

Sides are 'Fairlady Z' but I think the boot should have both 'Fairlady Z' (not sure if it's the exact same badge) and '2/2' as below - if the hatch hasn't been replaced you may be able to find the original holes by feeling inside once you've removed the cover.

6819623583_f5537efedb_z.jpg

richiep

Club Member
There you go! Matt has you covered for the rear hatch! FairladyZ emblems largely fit in the same holes as the export market cars (with some variations). So, a non-spoilered hatch would have Fairlady Z diagonally, with a 2/2 emblem below.

The bonnet emblem is pictured above and has the same contour and general thickness as the Datsun ones, with two mounting posts. They were unobtainium for many years outside of Japan but reproductions are now available from Japan and certain US traders like JDM-car-parts.com. I’ve seen them priced from about 70 quid in Japan to 120 quid or more (plus post in both cases). They should not be confused with the more common and much cheaper 280ZX ones that look superficially similar but are much thinner with a flat back, and are often stick on.

TimFZ

Club Member
Thanks guys, very useful. If I am not going to drill the boot and intend to stick on, what is the lettering angle I need? I am guessing about 30 degrees or is it not too important?

I also figure it may be hard to obtain the exact correct ones so I thought stick on could be more easily removed and replaced as I find them.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
No idea, I think some of them vary by year / options package but I've not seen that one before - @Albrecht - can you help Tim out?

TimFZ

Club Member
Mine has the L20A engine with twin Hitachi flat top carbs (which I think are fitted in reverse as the mixture screw is on the rear one!) Chassis number is GS30-012482 if this helps. Interestingly the strange photo was from Nissans own resource page! Tim

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Meaning it had the L20E with fuel injection?

It's not quite as simple as that (it never is...).

S30 and GS30 models in Japan had fuel injection before the 'E' badged S31 update in mid 1976 (CS31, CGS31 and their sub variants) so the lack of the 'E' emblem doesn't mean it hasn't got fuel injection.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Mine has the L20A engine with twin Hitachi flat top carbs (which I think are fitted in reverse as the mixture screw is on the rear one!) Chassis number is GS30-012482 if this helps. Interestingly the strange photo was from Nissans own resource page! Tim

OK, don't worry about the 'E' emblem. That was mid-'76 and up, and doesn't apply to your car.

Yours - as I think you've already worked out - would have had the 'FairladyZ' script on the RH side of the tailgate, mounted at the same jaunty angle as the 'Datsun' script emblems on Export models, and the Japan-only '2/2' emblem underneath it, horizontal. Like this:

S30-GS30-emblems-SS7.jpg
GS30-tailgate emb-1.jpg

Sorry for poor photo quality, but you get the idea...

As has been recommended, it's very likely that the original holes in your tailgate have been filled. If you take off the inside trim panel (pretty easy) you should be able to see the filled holes. They are your best shot for correct positioning. Those 'FairladyZ' script emblems are still available.

TimFZ

Club Member
Thanks very much Albrecht, that's a great help. The good news is I seem to have the original 2/2 side vent circular trims. It looks like the background behind the Z is and kind of faded red. I assume it was a brighter red once. looking at the other badges in your B&W photos, would the 2/2 have a red colour inside as well?

I have obtained one used Fairlady Z script which I can restore and I assume this is all silver or white?

Farmer42

Club Member
There is also a 2/2 badge that attaches to the front grille. Not sure if it is meant to be there but mine has it.

Attachments

• 20161106_101752.jpg
    20161106_101752.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 10

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
There is also a 2/2 badge that attaches to the front grille. Not sure if it is meant to be there but mine has it.

Good point, forgot to mention that one, and before Tim asks, yes it's also supposed to be orange EXTRA:D