B pillar interior

bluejon

Club Member
Trying to solve a puzzle here as to the correct arrangement of furnishings on the interior of the B pillars. I currently have the following set-up which is either incomplete or a mix of OEM/non-OEM:

- At shoulder height I have the J-shaped hooks to hold the seat belt buckles when not in use (pic 1)
- Higher up, around ear height, I have some bare screws. I guess either they were the original location of 'jacket hooks' long since gone and maybe like pic 2
- Finally up near the roof line I have some circular chromed button-like hooks - possibly added later as a replacement for the broken/lost 'jacket hooks' at position 2

Does anyone know what should this arrangement look like ?

Attachments

• $_35.jpg
    $_35.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Coat_Hanger_71_to_78_b.jpg
    Coat_Hanger_71_to_78_b.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited by a moderator:

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I know I've got both those things in your pics in my car, but can't remember where they are exactly. If no one else has a definitive answer, I'll take a photo at the weekend.

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
I think mines right.

attachment.php

picture looks **** but hay ho

Attachments

• Hooks.jpg
    Hooks.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 117

bluejon

Club Member
My pic is probably worse but here it is so you can compare the layout to MaximG. In Maxim's photo it appear that the round-button hook is at the bottom, while seat-belt holder is in the middle location.

WP_20160513_09_37_50_Pro.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
I have a feeling the seat belt hook location depends on the which seat belt setup you have. Having looked at both my owners manuals (don't ask) it shows the three piece seat belt set up (American market?) which has the hook where you have it. Now I'm only surmising but I think if you have the one piece with set belt stork like I have it goes higher on the B post to cope with more belt strapping.

The grey coat hook deff goes at the top above and just behind the seat.

Mike

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
*aside* just how do i get photos to embed in the posted message rather than be a pop-up attachment? I've looked many times and still can't fathom it ...

If attachment is already in the post
Click on Edit
Click on the attachment
Click the picture to open the drop down box
Click on the "Copy image location"
Close Picture
Click on the Yellowbox with "hills" in it
Delete the "http://" that is shown and paste in the image location
Click OK
Click on the save box
and you are all done
Sounds like a lot of faffing around but it only takes a couple of seconds once you know how to do it
Hope that helps

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
On my standard 240Z '73 the seat belt hook is in the lower position however it would probably be easier to use if it was half way up the window.

SacCyclone

Club Member
The "J" hood is factory as well. I think it helps old the shoulder seatbelt strap against the pillar when the shoulder seatbelt is not used and hooked to the metal button hook.

bluejon

Club Member
Curioiser and curioser ... despite that ad I just posted I find that the seatbelt doesn't even reach that top position to use the chrome hook as a holder, unless you slacken it right off which is impractical. Even then, the clasp doesn't fit onto the chrome hook.

26th-Z

New Forum User
Gentlemen,
I have two early cars - HLS30-00026 and HLS30-00027 - so take my answer with a grain of salt, please.

Seat belt hooks for the non-retracting belts came in two sizes and were mounted in two locations. Early cars like mine have the seat belt hook mounted to the side of the seat and are smaller in size per the picture I'm going to try to attach. The longer version of the hook mounts in line with the B-pillar at the base of the glass in line with the top of the seat. Half way up the B-pillar is a chrome screw with a clear plastic grommet which screws to a metal tab on the quarter window frame. At the top of the B-pillar is a chrome button, fairly small and of little use, frankly. It is a coat hook. Later models had the more practical hook which should appear to be of grey plastic rather than black. All installations require a chromed screw and toothed washer. I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Chris

Attachments

• SbHook-7.jpg
    SbHook-7.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 16
  • CoatHook.jpg
    CoatHook.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 15
  • QrtrTrimButton.jpg
    QrtrTrimButton.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 16