Attaching 240Z Numberplate Holder

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
DSC_0109_zpsbbiiiql5.jpg.51cd93918b326779ce98c19b91fb5a3f.jpg Taillight_Panel_240Z.jpg

How is the centre panel supposed to be attached to the body? The parts diagram is no use and I can find pictures online of both screws and rivets - mine were riveted onto the car but they didn't look very original! Anybody know the correct one?

Paul_S

Club Member
Mine was riveted on so that's how I put it back. I've no idea if that's how it was done at the factory though.

Rear Plate Fixing.jpg

As said, the top row uses plastic pins.

chris frizzell

Club Member
think it screws on like the blue one . grind the rivit off and it should be a bolt hole . how ever rivited it on did a bit of a bodge . must be removable so you can spray the body work

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Paul that's roughly how mine looked - if it's screws - anybody know what size? I'm imagining they need to be fairly flat.

Paul_S

Club Member
I just drilled the rivets out, it wasn't any hassle. I put the same back because I wasn't sure what else to use and they are nice and flush. I hope not to have it resprayed very often!

Here's a better view of what's behind them:

Rear Plate Fixing 2.jpg

I think you could use a self tapper in there. Sorry I can't remember the size.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I thought it was supposed to be Oem plastic rivets same as the ones used on the top

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
The holes look too small for the big plastic rivets used on the top edge?
20200617_212828.jpg

DJacey

Club Member
Paul, I might be wrong but I don't thing the top lip of the centre panel goes above the rear panel like that - it should go below which is why it looks stretched.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Carpartsmanual lists an M4 plastic rivet for the 260z/280:

79909-E4100

Maybe it's the same one?

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Ok looking at the 240Z list again, the part list has 8 plastic rivets (79909-E4100) and you only need 6 for the top edge so the numberplate panel must be where the other 2 go.

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Ok looking at the 240Z list again, the part list has 8 plastic rivets (79909-E4100) and you only need 6 for the top edge so the numberplate panel must be where the other 2 go.

Interesting sleuthing.

My centre panel is held on by two screws beneath the number plate kind of thought it was original I must admit. The screws wore holes in the back of the number plate that was one there and that was from about the third owner. Not that makes it conclusive in anyway.

Paul_S

Club Member
Paul, I might be wrong but I don't thing the top lip of the centre panel goes above the rear panel like that - it should go below which is why it looks stretched.
I think it should go over. Mine did look a bit beaten up back when I took that photo.

I reckon you guys are right about the plastic clips. I wonder if they will still go through the holes after a decent respray though?

In other news, I spotted these reproduction panels on eBay. I think they look great --> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Panel-Rear-Bumper-for-Nissan-Datsun-240Z/402308392946

Turn & Burn

Club Member
As per earlier post, I agree with the self tappers, this is what mine had, but this is what makes it all work... they clip over the little bracket

Attachments

• C2D3B3A7-FF06-470C-A023-1446E3EF95FB.png
    C2D3B3A7-FF06-470C-A023-1446E3EF95FB.png
    441.7 KB · Views: 17

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
As per earlier post, I agree with the self tappers, this is what mine had, but this is what makes it all work... they clip over the little bracket

I did recollect I had those but couldn’t conform without taking the car apart :D