Are these genuine Competition seats ?

richiep

Club Member
No.

That was nice and easy! :p

I had a pair of those at one point; the problem with them, and similar cheap Compe-style ones is that the seat bases are way too thick, meaning that if mounting in a Z you need to be under 6ft, otherwise you are hitting your head or banging your knees on the wheel.

The real Compe seats - or more accurate reproductions (which are now becoming more available at reasonable prices in Japan) - are quite different. The seat base is less well-stuffed and is more scooped out to get your bum lower. They are overall less bulky, without all the back and side padding. These pictured are repros, but are much closer to the real thing. Note the difference to the sides/back compared to what you pictured:
188-001_thumb.jpg

188-001_4.jpg

Another example, showing the seat base profile:
Hdaaeb4e69729422bb7523338ec288e05y.jpg_300x300.jpg

Here's some that JDM Car Parts in the US sell (similar can be had cheaper from Japan):
https://jdm-car-parts.com/products/datsun-competition-seat?variant=7711278853

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
For reference, here are some photos of genuine original Nissan 'U0175'/'Datsun Compe' seats:

U0175 Datsun Bucket-101.jpg U0175-1.jpg U0175-2.jpg U0175-3.jpg U0175-5.jpg

Worth bearing in mind that this style of seat was in production from around 1969 (originally as a Nissan Sports Option item for the 510-series Bluebird) until the mid 1980s, so there are several different - but original - variations. NISMO even made a limited edition re-pop (in leather!) for their 10th anniversary celebrations in 1994.

One of the key features of the lower-end repros is that they have a tubular steel frame. Originals - and the better repros - are a single piece fibreglass moulding onto which the upholstery is attached.

Welcome to the rabbit hole.

It proved a nightmare for myself in finding seats, I basically bored and harassed Alan T to tears over it. As @richiep rightly says, there's some good versions in Japan, however even those have a few compromises.

I ended up having some made that were in the 'feel' of originals.