anyone own a 250 gto replica

tricky

Well-Known Forum User
hi guy's i'am a new member please be gental!!
i have come from the kit car side of things and have always admired the ferrari 250 gto replica on the datsuns,i have alway kept an eye out for 240z's/260z on ebay and auto trader for them.does any members own any or are they the devils spawn for you purists?
also i have found a nice datsun 1970 240z for £ 4000 but it looks to good to put a kit on it.
any feedback good or bad will be welcome

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
I quite like them to be honest, as far as replicas go I think they're OK. So perhaps not 100% dimensionally accurate or the like but that's fine by me. What I don't like with some replicas I've seen are the ones that keep the standard Datsun interior - sore thumb and sticking out time! Other will of course disagree ;)

There was a bit of a splurg on Ebay laast year with at least 3 replicas appearing, one of which was apparently Pete Watermans - everybody go "ooooo". There was also a guy who was selling the panel kits for around £2k I think, he posted on here at the time so a quick search should find him.

As for doing the job to a '70 240Z - gasp!! Keep them original (well nearly) I'm sure Datsun specifically designed the 260Z for the replica crowd to use :D

And that's all from "Rob's guide to winning friends and influencing people" for today ;)

Cheers,
Rob

Russ

Club Member
Hi,

I know I've no position to tell you what to do, but any Z from 1970 is a rare bird, and they are different to later years, so it'd be a pity to hack it about.

However 260s are prime candidates and have an extra few cc if you're interested :)

qunvat

Well-Known Forum User
I tell ya...IF I had the time / money / expertise ...I'd do it Tomorrow, I think they look top.

Simon.

tricky

Well-Known Forum User
zedhead260 said:
There's one for sale in Classic Car Weekly.
have you got the info on the car in classic car weekly , i cant get it anywhere!!
the best replica gto kit is www.scorpionzcars.com

Attachments

• sideprofile240z.jpg
    sideprofile240z.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 250gtoside.jpg
    250gtoside.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 42

tricky

Well-Known Forum User
herea another pic of the 240 z and the gto kit i'am thinking of getting its £ 4400 is that a good price for the 240z?
also if the car is tax exempt what do you have to disply instead of a tax disc?

Attachments

• 240zleftfront.jpg
    240zleftfront.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 55
  • silver250 front.jpg
    silver250 front.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 47

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
I hate to jump in with some negative news here guys n gals but the red 240Z in the pics is NOT a 1970 240Z.
It is a 71 onwards shell not a 70 shell, and it is on an L reg which is 72 to 73.
There were only 2 rhd 240zs imported in 1970, and I know where both these cars are
So take care here and check out the facts before parting with money.

And then heres my little opinion bit , just in case none of you know wot I think about sad replica kits. But as always its not my money being spent so WTF.

Mr.F

Inactive
if the car is tax exempt what do you have to disply instead of a tax disc?
The car needs to be designated "Historic Vehicle" in the taxation class section of the registration document (now "certificate"). With MOT and insurance certificate, the registration certificate and appropriate form (V11 if you have a reminder version or V10 if starting from scratch, coming off SORN, or newly aquired Historic status), then any Post Office that deals with tax will issue a licence disc for free! Has to be renewed each year as per rip-off version everyone else has to buy, ensuring that the vehicle remains MOT'd and insured.

tricky

Well-Known Forum User
zedhead260 said:
There's one for sale in Classic Car Weekly.
i got classic car weekly today, the car is in london in barons court for £ 2,800, it has been sitting garaged for 6 years! stated it runs, i think the same car was in loot last year for sale and had a rusty chassais for £ 2,500 what do you all think then:confused:

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
Well I wouldn't buy a Z with a rusty chassis for £2.5k, it depends what you value the kit at.
I know Fourways do chassis rails for 240z's at about £700 the pair, not sure about 260z (and there are 2 types). It'll probably need floors too, but as the car is clothed in plastic, one would assume the body isn't bad. Be sure the inner wings and upper air tubes are good......god, I could go on forever with what to look for. Where are you located ??

A

Andytt

Yeah what utter rubbish Russ, you should know better than to wind up owners of the only Z worth having like that.

tricky

Well-Known Forum User
zedhead260 said:
Well I wouldn't buy a Z with a rusty chassis for £2.5k, it depends what you value the kit at.
I know Fourways do chassis rails for 240z's at about £700 the pair, not sure about 260z (and there are 2 types). It'll probably need floors too, but as the car is clothed in plastic, one would assume the body isn't bad. Be sure the inner wings and upper air tubes are good......god, I could go on forever with what to look for. Where are you located ??
i'am located in richmond middlesex, i made a mistake about the car being rusty, the one in loot last year was the rusty one, i just compared phone numbers and there different, i haven't seen the one i was talking about but the phone number is 0207 a 260 z 1979 so its more central london, i might go and see it on sunday if anyone's interested:D

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
Obviously if it's been sat for 6 years then there's going to be the usual mechanical decay that will have to be rectified. However if the shell/chassis is rust free (well relatively ;)) then offers on £2800 might not be too bad as long as you're willing to put the time/effort/money in to bringing the car back up to scratch, which I suspect you are!

Good luck though, if you can snap any pics while you're there I'm sure they'd be of interest here.

Cheers,
Rob

adrianfr

Well-Known Forum User
Dave Narburgh from Worcester way is currently doing a GTO conversion on a 240 rolling shell I sold him last year, and a couple of other people are using the same kit too, I think he posted about a web site of his on the forum a while back but I cant find it, it must be in the archive somewhere. Adrian

A

Andytt

If you are going to see it on Sunday and you want a second opinion p.m. me with a number and I might be able to look it over with you...........especially as its based on a proper Z........................the guy claims it is based on a 260zx, it also has the Z quarter lights still in place........not very promising really.

tricky

Well-Known Forum User
Andytt said:
If you are going to see it on Sunday and you want a second opinion p.m. me with a number and I might be able to look it over with you...........especially as its based on a proper Z........................the guy claims it is based on a 260zx, it also has the Z quarter lights still in place........not very promising really.
thanks andy, i will phone him tomorrow to find out some more, i noticed that the quarter glass was still there, i don't know why as the kits i have seen covers them after you have welded a blanking piece instead of the glass.