Any Scalextric fans on here?

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Yeah, that's part of my youth. I once stuffed a whole track I made into my school rucksack and took it to school in year 5.

Farmer42

Club Member
Got a set up in the loft somewhere. Takes longer to build and repair to get it going than I actually spend using it. Probably why it's been in the loft for years!

richiep

Club Member
Cheshire Plainz used to do an annual Scalextric competition night at a place in Marple, Stockport. Great fun. Mark Warburton took it particularly seriously - but then again, he was going weekly and had his cars all tricked out with enhanced motors, magnets for traction, special tyres, etc!

SacCyclone

Club Member
Not familiar with Scalextric but I am assuming it is a slot car track???

If so we had them when I was a kid at the local shopping mall.

Can someone post up some pics of a home track???

I remember I had a slot car track when I was young, it had a spring in the track groove that the car would attach to with a plastic pin.....a power house would move the spring at different rates so the cars would go fast or slow depending on how much power you gave the power house...

The "real" slot car track at the public site had two electric rails and the car had a electric motor.

Mike

AD240Z

Club Member
That’s it Mike . An electric race track with the cars running in a slot . Wish I had a home set up to photograph .

CC195573-2095-4918-AB14-4EFCF98E5468.jpeg

I still have one car .

My favourites were minis/stock cars that had a guide that allowed the car to spin 360 degrees .

Spent that much time spinning them round the tyres were ruined .

toopy

Club Member
Use to have a huge track with banked curves that we set up in a through lounge at home, that was many, many years ago now though!

So no track, but i do have a couple of cars that i bought for nostalgia, they've never been near a track in my ownership though.

Scalextric 260z.jpg

toopy

Club Member
Not familiar with Scalextric but I am assuming it is a slot car track???

If so we had them when I was a kid at the local shopping mall.

Can someone post up some pics of a home track???

I remember I had a slot car track when I was young, it had a spring in the track groove that the car would attach to with a plastic pin.....a power house would move the spring at different rates so the cars would go fast or slow depending on how much power you gave the power house...

The "real" slot car track at the public site had two electric rails and the car had a electric motor.

Mike

This sort of thing Mike :)

track.jpg

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Oh good, I knew there must be some 'takers'.

I have 3 260Zs one new still in it's box. 2 Sierra Cosworths that need some tlc to the pick-up area. I also have a Subaru Impreza (big improvement in design). I also have a subscription to Motorsport magazine (love it) which came with 2 cars - another Sierra and a Chevy Camaro.

The track is the biggest issue, it needs to be pernanently 'down' to avoid damage and poor connections.

I had my first 'set' when a young boy about 60 years ago.

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
Even made a super samuri one :)

Some have magnet underneath and one had a sprint motor

Used to take them over to Stockport when the scale models Z meet was a thing

Attachments

• 20221226_081739.jpg
    20221226_081739.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 28

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Use to have a huge track with banked curves that we set up in a through lounge at home, that was many, many years ago now though!

So no track, but i do have a couple of cars that i bought for nostalgia, they've never been near a track in my ownership though.

View attachment 56174
We have the light blue one and my boys love it as it has no magnets at the bottom and drifts on every corner!!!! The newer cars corner at crazy speeds with their strong magnets!!

5 different versions of the Scalextric models I still have I used to have a chrome one as well
If I remember correctly the drivers helmets came in different colours
The grey model was a scalextric club ltd edition

View attachment 56178
Steve, that collection I saw at your place a few years ago was truly world class!!! So you still have all your cars!?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Sadly I bought this a while ago from a secondhand bookshop.

Attachments

• 20230224_154134.jpg
    20230224_154134.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 13

Paul_S

Club Member
I heard from someone that you can join the Hornby club which gets you a discount in their shop. I've not checked to see if the figures add up.