Any car insurance professionals on here?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Is there a way of sorting this?

My eldest lad is being treated unfairly due to someone else's bad driving and his premium has been loaded!

A few months ago my lad (37) was in his house and he heard a load bump outside (sounded like a wheelie-bin falling over). He looked out and his neighbour (who has a mobility supplied car) had driven 12 feet straight into the front of his 4 series BMW. She had a BMW too!

He went out and she apologised and admitted liability (she had to of course). My lad suspects that she had been drinking otherwise there is no explanation as to why she did such a stupid thing.

His car was repaired (Sytner BMW at of cost of about £1250). It needed a new bumper and strengthening bar behind it. This was from a neighbours car parked next door!!!

To get his car back he had to pay £350 excess. He was without that money over Christmas and has just managed to get it back after her insurance company admitted responsibility. Being a Mobility car she doesn't have any aggro.

His insurance is now due for renewal and this 'accident' which was no fault of his has increased his premium significantly.

He passed his driving test first time and then took the PassPlus test. He has never had a speeding fine and never had a claim. He has protected 'no claim cover' but of course the initial premium is what sets the end figure.

Recently he passed his motorcycle test and then 'big bike' test.

His insurance company say that data shows that people who have 'no fault' claims are more likely to have a 'fault' claim.

How can this be fair?

Has anyone had the same situation and if so can it be 'disputed/corrected' ?

Farmer42

Club Member
I am not an insurance professional but I think there is an insurance ombudsman that you can go to with disputes. Citizens Advice Bureau is another source. Otherwise he can vote with his feet and go somewhere else. Another insurance company might take a different view and not load the premium. If he had no claim protection it should not have affected his premium as that is what the protection payment is for.

I had a similar situation about 10 years ago where a woman reversed into my stationary car and the insurance company increased the premium. I moved companies and got the insurance a lot cheaper even when I disclosed the incident.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Are women safer drivers?

Even if you have 'No Claims Discount' it only discounts on the basic premium and his has gone up so he gets the same % discount but off a higher figure.

Dale

Club Member
I regards the car insurance industry as no more than a group of loan companies. They will get their money back, with interest!

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
From this link: https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/non-fault-claims/

'Yes. Your premiums could go up after you’ve declared a non-fault claim because your insurance provider may decide that the reason for the claim – even though it wasn’t your fault – is more likely to happen again.

For example, if your car was struck while parked, your insurer might think your chosen spot is more risky.'

I guess it makes sense - there's now a known risk to the car.

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
Yeah it’s totally unfair.
Every year I battle with renewals. I just don’t know how they work out premiums.

This year my nipper could get cover in a Mitsubishi Evo 7 (modified) but they wouldn’t cover him in his £1500 1995 Daimler

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Hi Rob, I hope all is well!

As you know I used to work in the industry albeit not specifically motor. I've also been in a similar situation myself so very much understand the feeling.

Sadly, there's bugger all you can do. Premiums are generated on the basis of mass statistics and on balance anyone who's been involved in an accident is statistically twice as likely to be involved in another incident, hence you're perceived as a higher risk and therefore allocated a higher premium.

Being at 'fault' or having a 'non fault' accident basically makes bugger all difference, they latch onto the fact that you've had an accident period.

Other than shopping around for the best quote you can, protecting your NCB there's very little you can do, it's a 'shit happens' kind of incident. When I was unfortunate, my premium doubled come renewal and then there was the rest that I paid extra on renewals over the next three years that I was obliged to notify insurers of the accident.

Equally in my experience, additional training, advanced driving or having a motorcycle licence don't make any difference in terms of your perceived risk by insurers (I've done all of them). It just makes you a better driver/rider and therefore hopefully less likely to have an incident.

HTH

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
It's so annoying that my lad (who is a careful driver) and loves his immaculate car can be sitting in his house and some idiot drives 12ft into it at speed and he has to suffer a repaired car and pay £30 a month more for the next 12 months and then more next year!!!!!

The woman who did it gest her 'Mobility' BMW repaired and probably doesn't even have any financial change. I assume my lad's tax is paying for that!

Is it worth trying to claim 'uninsured loss' from her?

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Is it worth trying to claim 'uninsured loss' from her?

Honestly and in my humble experience, you'll make no progress, get frustrated/stressed, waste more time and achieve nothing. As much as it's incredibly frustrating, you should draw a line under it and move on.

Sorry I can't be the bearer of better news...