Air filter box colour??

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
A previous owner has repainted the airfilter box silver on my 280zx, but I would like to repaint it in the standard light blue shade.Does anyone know the paint colour and if it's still available?

ZeXy

Forum User
Hi

Its more like a Turquoise/Blue/Green, i also considered it but couldn't get the exact match in a can, ended up paining mine silver to match the rest of the engine compartment.

Ped

Club Member
I was thinking about painting mine too. I know you can get paint mixed to match at Halfords, but the original spec would be good.

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
Yes...That's what I was thinking.If I knew the paint code, I could get a rattle can made up at Halfords.

Ped

Club Member
I thought they could scan it to match it? I must be thinking of emulsion for walls!

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Said light blue looks the same colour as the original colour of the engine blocks (on the 240z definately) and the OEM 260z air-box, .....but can't confirm. If so, I know they available on one or two of the US websites. Be sure, that if you are having a colour match made up, you find a bit on the air-box that has not been subject to the elements/oil/petrol etc, as the colour will change. If it is anything like a 260z OEM air-box, it has very little paint on it, and the is no pre-paint keying

Ped

Club Member
Last edited by a moderator:

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
Colour 562 does appear to be the closest...I will have to have a look inside the air cleaner again, as the paint colour is still original inside.

Ped

Club Member
Airfilter box colour

Much, much later... Right, have had a rattle can of Datsun Turquoise 562 made up at Halfords, after the first guy said 'no' he could do it. Spoke to the organ grinder on a second visit and he pulled up the reference straight away. (In the same store I asked for a meter of fuel hose, the guy serving me was standing holding a tape measure in his hands and asked me: 'What's a meter?'. I pointed out to him it was written on the tape measure he was holding in his hands :banghead:)

Anyway... I have compared it to the airfilter box and its not bad, but a little too light. I then checked inside which is a slightly different, more greeny blue (probably not faded like the outside). But I think for my purposes its about right, at least for a first coat. I may have a look and see if there is something nearer, off the shelf, but I doubt it. The original colour really is odd, it looks very different depending on the daylight, cloudy/sunny.

I think I am getting obsessed... :rofl:

Mr Ex

Inactive
I asked for a meter of fuel hose, the guy serving me was standing holding a tape measure in his hands and asked me: 'What's a meter?'.

Perhaps you should have asked for a yard.:lol:
Taken this from the S African car.

Attachments

• blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
I have now bought a can of Ford Nordic Blue paint from Halfords and the colour match is pretty good!

Stevie P

Well-Known Forum User
I have repainted mine.

The best colour match I could find was Ford Nordic blue available in tins from Halfords.

Steve

Huw

Club Member
Had mine power coated. Was going for an anodised aluminium blue. Basically a silver base with a royal blue over the top. Bit of an experiment - not for everyone I would guess but I think it looks nice.

Attachments

• Filter_3.JPG
    Filter_3.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 22

chapstar37

Forum User
If you are hard core and prepared to do a bit of mixing, Humbrol (modellers enamel), Code 48 (meditteranean blue) is actually very close, looks light when you first put it on, but it dries lovely, maybe could do with a shade more green in it, but if you have a small compressor you can mix your own as it is sprayable. Sticks like sh.. to a blanket on rustoleum base coat.

8 years after the last comment, I will post a question! Has anyone tried to re-paint the engine with the original blue?
I am happy I could get a Ford Nordic Blue can in Halfords, I was thinking if I would ever manage to find a matching Ford engine paint?

I was thinking on doing it the other way, getting engine paint similar to the Ford Nordic Blue and paint the air cleaner with it, then if I decide to paint the engine I will already have a matching paint.
I can't find the Ford color for engine, but I have found some Pontiac colours, maybe the Pontiac Metallic Light Blue would do the job?
P300_EE_colorchart.gif
Any thoughts? Am I just being silly?

Thanks!