Air and Breather filters plus other queries

Dondigital

Club Member
I’ve finally been reunited with by 72 Datsun 240Z only to discover a number of issues that need to be resolved to get it road worthy, not-with-standing a stuck clutch. I feel that I could be posting rather a lot in the next few weeks so be gentle with me.

These first few questions are all engine related:
  • Air-filters for the twin SU carbonators, currently without any so any recommendations of which ones are best in terms of performance and where to get them would be welcome.
  • Fuel pump (mechanical) is leaking, either from the bottom or the side, not quite sure so any recommendations on repairs or replacement would be most useful.
  • Engine crankcase breather filter is missing, again, any advice on where to source one and what is the best type would be welcome.
  • The speedo cable is missing, any advice on that and where to buy a new one would be very useful.
Thank you in advance for any advice.

toopy

Club Member
  • Engine crankcase breather filter is missing, again, any advice on where to source one and what is the best type would be welcome.

The crankcase breather, doesn't have a filter, it connects via a hose to the inlet manifold PCV. You can of course fit one as mentioned.

The cam cover breather also originally connects via a hose, but this one goes to the back of the standard air filter case, but of course many cars no longer have the original, and therefore have a little breather instead, generic example below.

breather.jpg

Last edited:

toopy

Club Member
The original type mechanical fuel pumps are very hard to come by and expensive, after market replacements if available are not highly regarded.

That said, I've not had one for many years, so not entirely sure what people are doing when they do fail, lots have switched to electric now for obvious reasons.

Farmer42

Club Member
I am running the K&N 56-9098 75mm deep filters on my twin British HS6 SU carbs which I got direct from K&N UK at around £140. They should fit on the hitachis but make sure you measure from the carb air inlet to the strut tower to make sure you have enough space for them. It might be a bit tight if you have Hitachis. I found that the deeper the filter the better as they let more air through and 35mm trumpets inside increase air velocity which I found, helps performance especially on acceleration. This actually replicates the OEM airbox as that has trumpets moulded as part of the backplate. I got the trumpets from Merlin Motorsports at around £35. Avoid going for any of the cheaper filter options as they are not very good and don't give the performance.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I have found a crank case breather pipe, it's not brilliant but usable and there is a 240z speedo cable on ebay.

Attachments

• IMG_20200819_083254.jpg
    IMG_20200819_083254.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 9

Dondigital

Club Member
Thank you to all for the replies and advice. There is some good news, the fuel pipe into the pump was only finger tight, thus the leak. Now tighten, no leak. More problems with the clutch though but hopefully all repairable.