Aftermarket steering wheel with cruise controls?

shadowman

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Peeps.

How do I fit an aftermarket steering wheel to my 1992 300ZX TT without losing ANY of my cruise control functions? I love my original wheel. I always like the fact that while in cruise mode I can accelerate without using my foot just by pushing that concave button (I forget what it's called now ;)) in the centre of my wheel.

But the original Z wheel is looking a bit tatty and and I feel it it should be decomissioned as I'm replacing the entire interior in the next few months.

Will the cruise buttons have to be relocated somewhere close by near the dials? :unsure: If I can get them mounted on the new wheel somehow that would be brilliant.
How is it usually accomplished?

Cheers

Mr.F

Inactive
You need a boss to accommodate HICAS and cruise, not just any old boss. These are available on import from Japan. I normally have stock, but interest has died away and all I have left is a HICAS only version and no immediate plans to restock.

The cruise buttons get relocated to the rim of the horn push and the underside of the boss locates to the HICAS sensor.

Six different bosses are required to cover all Z32s:

No HICAS / no cruise
HICAS / no cruise
No HICAS / with cruise
HICAS and cruise
and for later cars:
SRS driver's airbag only
SRS twin air bag

shadowman

Well-Known Forum User
You need a boss to accommodate HICAS and cruise, not just any old boss. These are available on import from Japan. I normally have stock, but interest has died away and all I have left is a HICAS only version and no immediate plans to restock.

The cruise buttons get relocated to the rim of the horn push and the underside of the boss locates to the HICAS sensor.

Six different bosses are required to cover all Z32s:

No HICAS / no cruise
HICAS / no cruise
No HICAS / with cruise
HICAS and cruise
and for later cars:
SRS driver's airbag only
SRS twin air bag

Thanks Mike. Just need to get hold of the right boss! :)

The new bushes have really improved the ride by the way. :thumbs: It has really firmed up everything and it corners a lot better. Still got that annoying ticking sound when I'm pushing it and louder when I brake. Might be the brakes themselves. I had hoped the bushes might eradicate the horrible squeak I get from under the car but it was too much to ask for I guess. As the bushes have been replaced I can only assume it has to be the stock suspension strut itself perhaps :confused: headache!