AE86 electric conversion

Faster Behr

Club Member
This story just caught my eye. I do have a soft spot for the AE86 and a strong interest in electric conversions.

More and more manufacturers seem to be teasing about electric conversion packages. Ford with the Mach-E Eluminator crate motor for example.

I’ve been watching quite a lot of YouTube content on electric conversions and I think I might take one on now that I’ve got some new space to play with. A DIY electric humvee really floats my boat. 🤔

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
you know how in our youth (and our old age) we used to modify cars with cam shafts, turbos, ecu / exhaust upgrades etc?

I often wonder how the next gen will modify their cars - uprated voltage converters , thicker / precious metal cables, better battery cooling etc.

Then I often wonder how they will hurt themselves in the process - I can imagine a rise in cases of electrocution. ;)

Would follow your build with interest - but stay safe buddy!

As for the AE 86 can you even find one for sale these days? My 10 year old is obsessed with it being his first car and I can t even find one for sale! ;) At least I have 7 years to look out for one!

Faster Behr

Club Member
Ha, well. Funny story. Last night I was working on setting up the camera system at my new unit so my cameras are visible on my home system. I had an IT guy logged in via Teamviewer helping me with the VPN connection. He spotted my Fairlady ZL in one of the images and asked me if it was for sale (semi-jokingly). We chatted and it turns out he has an AE86 but he would never part with it. It just goes to show that these cars are out there. But as you say, I don't see them for sale. Apparently some noodle delivery guy gave them cult status. Huh.

Regarding safety, indeed. I would need to buy a new Fisher Price plastic tool kit to avoid getting zapped by those pesky wiggliamps! A family member works at Porsche and they have a big old plastic tool kit. It does make me giggle.

Pondo

Club Member
@s2k_adz took his out to Le Mans last year. Got quite a bit of interest, Adult's and children alike.

Attachments

• EF3AEA49-7122-4731-BD70-402F5107C8C4.jpeg
    EF3AEA49-7122-4731-BD70-402F5107C8C4.jpeg
    834.4 KB · Views: 25