Advice on twiddling my knob off

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Now I have your attention (moderators included undoubtedly) I need advice from old lags I think ...

I have an original radio and need to remove the cover.

I can get the right knob off just by pulling it off. But the left one (power and Vol) is hanging on for dear life - any thoughts on how to get it off? There doesn't seem to be a grub screw of any sort either.

fc4e3c75a19dd40c4b2f3a442ab56be0.jpg

Many thanks,
Ali

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Note to self: read text before posting!!

So Mr D, you play with Zs all the time, any thoughts on how to remove it?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Another thought - would this be in the FSM!? If so any chance of a pic of it please?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Soak it with plus-gas overnight, cut a flat washer and put it behind the knob and then lever it off with a claw hammer.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Kind of you Jon. Been stalking those for a while, apparently they are excellent.

But, I don't like the non-stock looks.

If all goes to plan and it's a big if (have little play time ATM) I'll do a detailed write up on how my stock radio will sound awesome, look totally stock and all the knobs buttons will work.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
That'll be interesting Ali - I'd like a stock unit with more modern insides too.
I've got the previous 'retrosound 1' radio, which is OK but it has some solder quality issues, doesn't have mobile phone connectivity and still doesn't look that stock!

Farmer42

Club Member
Ali

You have a magnificent tune coming out the exhaust from that L-series engine under the bonnet (all 104 decibels of it :lol:). Why on earth would you want to drown that out with a radio:confused:

Russell

Club Member
Smileyinside, what are your plans here?

I do a lot of projects with arduino and raspberry pi and I have started collecting the parts to do just what it sounds like you are planning on doing.

The problem is, I don't have an original radio, in any condition that I can use.

It seems that whenever they pop up, they are really expensive and generally working

zNathan

Well-Known Forum User
I really want an original UK radio for mine, would be cool if it worked too..

I wouldn't ever use it though. Haha

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
You're very kind "Farmer" Paul and it is a rather magnificent addictive sound from inside the car too. :D

Three reasons for my new project:

1. The current radio is a complete wart on a very tidy stock interior

2. It doesn't have great sound quality or enough power to hear it properly over the exhaust note / motorway noise

3. Would like to plug iPhone into it so that at the next z club event I can play appropriate mood music - Saturday Night Fever, Rasputin, He's the Greatest Dancer etc. I may even dig out the white suit and medallion. Yes I have those ;)

It probably is sacrilege taking an original radio to bits / destroying it's original circuitry; given they sell for stupid money on eBay.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Smileyinside, what are your plans here?

I do a lot of projects with arduino and raspberry pi and I have started collecting the parts to do just what it sounds like you are planning on doing.

The problem is, I don't have an original radio, in any condition that I can use.

It seems that whenever they pop up, they are really expensive and generally working

Target state is 30w RMS x2, non DAB FM, concealed 2.5mm jack for music devices, concealed SD card plug for built in music and concealed USB port. Last three in ashtray area or pull out panel from top of glove box next to glove box illumination lamp.

Nothing fancy like bluetooth as there is no way anyone will hear me well enough when on the motorway ;)

Already installed concealed a small dinner plate sized sub under passenger seat which "fills in" the perfect amount of base without being max power wide boy ...

e46266a3c076931a5f1f477bb7e2da25.jpg

What are your plans? What bits have you collected?

Would be cool to have a Raspberry Pi powered z!! ;)

Russell

Club Member
I have most of the parts I would need other than the amp I would want to install inside it as well.

I am planning on being able to use the existing volume control and buttons, incorporating airplay so I can play music from my iphone without needing to have any plugs or anything non-stock looking.

Just need to find a broken factory radio that wont cost the earth...

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Nice! We need to talk! Would love to see what bits you have - especially the airplay bit! :respect:

Russell

Club Member
absolutely, where do you live?

I notice you drive a 2+2 as well :)

Dont suppose you have another radio do you?