Advice on Trolley Jack

Kieronpollock

Club Member
Happy New a year everyone!
First advice request of 2023.
My current jack that I’ve had for years is a basic Halfords 2ton jack and has worked fine on my daily drives and my wife’s mini.
However, it doesn’t have the reach to sit under the front cross member and allow me to pump it up.
I’m therefore looking at whether I need to get a new jack that will allow me to do basic tasks eg oil change. Nothing fancy (under £100) as usage doesn’t warrant the expense.
Any suggestions very welcome
Thanks in advance

Mr.G

Club Member

uk66fastback

Club Member
I’ve had SGS stuff as well … decent quality for the money. The huge jack I bought for the Mustang resto over a decade ago is fine for the 240 - it’s overkill if anything - it’s storing it that’s my problem. I’d gladly have something smaller …

Huw

Club Member
This is more than you wanted to spend, but I am happy with this one, had it for a few years:

Allows me to Jack the car high enough to put tall axle stands underneath or ramps (without having to drive it on). They also do cheaper ones.

Another site to look at is https://www.sgs-engineering.com/ I've been happy with their quality in the past too.
Got one of these Clarks low profile ones. It’s low enough to get under the front valance with lowered suspension and has long enough reach to get to the engine cross member. Great Jack. Only downside is it’s bloody heavy.

Last edited:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I bought a 'Big Red' aluminium jack in the end with aluminium axle stands in a 'bundle' from Rally Design.

Rushingphil

Club Member
Happy New a year everyone!
First advice request of 2023.
My current jack that I’ve had for years is a basic Halfords 2ton jack and has worked fine on my daily drives and my wife’s mini.
However, it doesn’t have the reach to sit under the front cross member and allow me to pump it up.
I’m therefore looking at whether I need to get a new jack that will allow me to do basic tasks eg oil change. Nothing fancy (under £100) as usage doesn’t warrant the expense.
Any suggestions very welcome
Thanks in advance

If it's only for occasional use, you're more than welcome to borrow mine. I have a lovely low profile, long reach Blue Point one.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I just use the standard jack I've had for ages and run the car up onto 2 bits of wood under the wheels first, lifts the car about three inches which is enough to get the jack in.
Lot cheaper than a new jack!

I do exactly that with one of these I bought back in 2006!! The benefit being it came in an abs carry case and stores really easily it goes in the boot easily when needed.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Ps. Do buy a rubber pad for those jacks that don’t come with one