Advice Needed

4683kelly

Well-Known Forum User
Hi everyone

I had a good look round my engine bay yesterday and noticed a few things (please feel free to correct me because I'm a complete rookie).

Firstly after a lot of staring at diagrams and them making no sense I realised the carburettors had been put on the wrong way by the previous owner so I've swapped them over. The pictures were taken after I swapped them and I believe are now correct?

When I bought the car the balance tube was in the boot and I can't be sure if it is the original one or if it is from another z. Is the balance tube the same for all z models and years? If not does anyone know If mine looks correct for a 1972 LHD Californian 240z?

Also is the diagram attached how my engine should look? Probably a silly question but I've seen so many variations.

I've also realised that I have quite a few parts missing. I think I need the following before I have any chance of getting it running;

Flame trap/ Fast idle control valve
Servo diaphragm
Carburettor spring x1
Carb connector rod
Some linkage (rod with a ball on each end)
Heat shield

Does anyone have any of these parts spare or do you know where I could buy them and am I missing anything else?

I've read that you can remove the emissions parts with little effect on how the engine runs but I would rather have it as it was originally.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Natalie

Attachments

• 20170506_133024[1].jpg
    20170506_133024[1].jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 76
  • 20170506_133030[1].jpg
    20170506_133030[1].jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 65

toopy

Club Member
You should have hose clamps on those rubber fuel pipes from the fuel rail to the carbs!

4683kelly

Well-Known Forum User
I've got a pile of jubilees ready to go on but want to make sure I've got all the parts I need and all the hoses in the correct places before I attach them.

Thanks

toopy

Club Member
I've got a pile of jubilees ready to go on but want to make sure I've got all the parts I need and all the hoses in the correct places before I attach them.

Thanks

Well the pipes i mentioned are certainly correct

the two over flow pipes from the top of the carb float bowls would normally attach to the back of the air filter housing

Im not familiar with any of the emission kit unfortunately, but i should imagine trying to get it back to OEM,
let alone working properly will be a real ball ache! :(

4683kelly

Well-Known Forum User
If I can't find the parts I guess I would have to consider taking them out but I'll see what I can find.

Also I've just remembered I am needing two of the wing bolts for connecting the air filter housing. Can anyone help with these?

SacCyclone

Club Member
Natalie,
First thing I did was to remove most of the emissions parts from my stock 71 240Z LHD Cali car, including the smog pump which your car may have too.
The back plate of the air cleaner housing has 2 bolts that attached to the outboard holes in each carb. Additional there are 2 large bolts that attach to the inner carb holes, these are threaded at the end to accept the front plate of the air cleaner. These 2 inner bolts are very rare as are the long wing nuts that attach the front plate of the air cleaner. There are also 2 gaskets that go between the carbs and back plate of the air cleaner. You will want the early style air cleaner of 70-72 if your running round top SU's.
If you need help locating parts, let me know as I may have most of them.
Should be some chaps on here who have converted to triples that may have these parts laying in their garage.

Cheers, Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

SacCyclone

Club Member
This 71 Cali car has a euro balance tube which you should look for, really cleans up that area of hoses and pods etc.

u3zhhgj.jpg
[/IMG]

zRdFh8L.jpg
[/IMG]

VpJ21Qh.jpg
[/IMG]

6cpqdqE.jpg
[/IMG]

4683kelly

Well-Known Forum User
Wow thanks California Mike

I was planning on keeping the emissions set up but everyone seems to be advising to take it all out and looking at the pictures you've attached it will look a lot better (and probably be a lot simpler to put together).

In that case does anyone have a euro balance tube they don't need or any suggestions where I can get one? Preferably UK so I can get it running as soon as possible :driving: