Adventures with Zstory Race Sport system and mufflers

Status
Not open for further replies.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
If you know me, you know that I enjoy the tinkering in equal measure to the actual driving! Some contend I like tinkering even more!

Ever wondered what an exhaust system would sound like on your car with different mufflers? I personally found that the internet was full small clips but very little in the way of back to back comparisons on the same car.

Well, purely for your benefit, I sacrificed myself!!!! So head over to the links below and tell me what you think. If you want to subscribe, I will be doing other reviews in the future. In fact the only silencer of Zstory I have yet to put on the car is the Street (formerly known as Track) - that's coming up in the next few days.

I will splice parts of these together one day when I get more time, so that the same bit is played back to back on one video.

1. Thrush / Dynamax 17715 Turbo Muffler (I had some SERIOUS hay-fever that day so forgive my lifeless voice).

2. Zstory Classic Muffler

3. Zstory JDM Muffler

4. Zstory Street Muffler

Let me know what you think and I hope it's helpful / fun.

(To be very clear, I have no affiliation with Zstory nor is this commercial in anyway - it's just me having a bit of fun and sharing it with fellow enthusiasts!)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
2 and 3 both sound fantastic Ali - and your enthusiasm. Your car seems well tuned too.

Lovely engines these L6s.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
2 and 3 both sound fantastic Ali - and your enthusiasm. Your car seems well tuned too.

Lovely engines these L6s.

Thanks Rob. Yes the tune is pretty much there but you know me, there’s always a little more tinkering to be done. Not sure if you could hear it but I do still have a small vac leak which shows itself at idle / part throttle. I am suspecting the manifold gasket.

To be frank, I’m quite undecided about which one I want to keep on the car permanently - they both have their own individual characters, but today, I’m leaning towards the JDM for sound / fit with my personal tastes. Tomorrow I may swing the other way ;)

Huw

Club Member
Good choice, no wait Classic, or maybe the JDM…. decisions decisions. Nice vids Ali :hurray::hurray:

toopy

Club Member
I bought the Classic along with the full exhaust, not fitted yet, but good to see/hear in your films that it has a nice burble and is a little throaty, as that's exactly what i like sound wise from an exhaust :) of course your engine has rather more horses than mine so will sound different, but looks like i made the right choice.

Funny how the camera angle in the films makes your 'compact' garage look rather bigger :D and nice overalls, although i think the ripped jeans in the JDM episode is far more Datsun home mechanic! :hurray:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I bought the Classic along with the full exhaust, not fitted yet, but good to see/hear in your films that it has a nice burble and is a little throaty, as that's exactly what i like sound wise from an exhaust :) of course your engine has rather more horses than mine so will sound different, but looks like i made the right choice.

Funny how the camera angle in the films makes your 'compact' garage look rather bigger :D and nice overalls, although i think the ripped jeans in the JDM episode is far more Datsun home mechanic! :hurray:

The classic is definitely throaty!

You crack me up - the overalls were in the wash that day! :p

Bazzateer

Club Member
Either of the Z Story silencers would do for me but I agree, the JDM would be first choice.
I'll probably wait until my Janspeed needs replacing though.

status

Well-Known Forum User
I’ve got the classic with the full system,sounds pretty tasty and loud not sure if it would sound different on a stock engine

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Good videos. Well done.

To be frank, I’m quite undecided about which one I want to keep on the car permanently - they both have their own individual characters, but today, I’m leaning towards the JDM for sound / fit with my personal tastes.

Can't argue with personal taste, but there seem to be an awful lot of people out there these days who don't understand that this 'JDM' muffler doesn't replicate the OEM Japanese market system in form or function.

The original system was a full twin pipe run from the exhaust manifold (essentially two three-cylinder runs) to the rear exit, with the pipes running through a common resonator and rear box. Two in, two out. This 'JDM' rear muffler is one in, two out. It doesn't replicate, it imitates.

I'd also say that any stacked twin pipe system is a less than ideal match for the smaller exhaust cut-out of the late production style rear valance. It looks less well tucked up, and perhaps a little awkward (to my eye anyway...).

For comparison, here's an OEM factory twin pipe system on one of my cars:

Attachments

• OEM Dual-1.JPG
    OEM Dual-1.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 56
  • OEM Dual-2.JPG
    OEM Dual-2.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 57

uk66fastback

Club Member
Well done Ali, great work. Thanks for the time and effort you’ve put in as regards these. JDM for me, I have one on the shelf here. Just waiting for ZStory to provide the standard manifold to back box pipe.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thanks guys! I make no Top Gear presenter anytime soon but I was having a lot of fun comparing them so I thought some videos may be fun to do. On the next video I’m not allowed to use the words “and um”, “actually”, “so” and “let’s see” as fillers!!! I can stand on a stage and talk for an hour or two without this, but put me behind the wheel and it all goes to pot!

As @Albrecht correctly points out, the JDM is indeed a single in two out and a bit of cheat for those of us not running a twin pipe system. It does sound great up top and for my tastes in “low end, cruise silence” it works better than the Classic. I have super sensitive ears and the low bass cruising will get to me on a longer run. But then again, I am that guy with ear plugs at a concert or in a night club! :p yes seriously I do that!! So I can imagine it won’t be a concern for most others.

Again, I agree, on any later S30 it will look less than fitted. Having said that, it looks 200% better than the “dog’s bits hanging down” look of Turbo Mufflers I’ve had.

With the MSA pipe work, the first Turbo muffler fitted right up east/west but had a tendency to knock the fuel tank on the odd occasion. But with the Zstory pipework that extra 5-10mm difference meant it had to sit north/south and hang.

I’m looking forward to finishing up the series by playing with the newly improved Street muffler when we get the next few dry days and seeing how differently that one sounds / hangs etc.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Can't argue with personal taste, but there seem to be an awful lot of people out there these days who don't understand that this 'JDM' muffler doesn't replicate the OEM Japanese market system in form or function.

The original system was a full twin pipe run from the exhaust manifold (essentially two three-cylinder runs) to the rear exit, with the pipes running through a common resonator and rear box. Two in, two out. This 'JDM' rear muffler is one in, two out. It doesn't replicate, it imitates.

Hi Alan.

I find it constructive for you to highlight for others that my 'JDM' silencer doesn't replicate the OEM Japanese market system - thanks.

And I'm also grateful for and not forgotten our discussion some years ago when I asked your advice before naming my new silencer and you suggested calling it 'JDM' rather than 'Z432' especially because, as you reminded me, the vertically-stacked silencer (as part of the the twin pipe system) was available as an option on all engine versions and nott just the S20.

I'd also say that any stacked twin pipe system is a less than ideal match for the smaller exhaust cut-out of the late production style rear valance. It looks less well tucked up, and perhaps a little awkward (to my eye anyway...).
I totally agree with you (see photos) and I won't refuse to sell them on that detail as even 'stock' mufflers are more evident in profile that upon the earlier S30s - the valence lifts up at a steeper angle however, I've tried my best. Owners can also modify their rear valences if desired - I DO mention to them before a sale of the 'less than ideal match' and why........however, I agree with you again here :
Can't argue with personal taste....

Finally, thanks Ali for this unsolicited and surprise media report; you've invested an amazing amount of time and effort and it's greatly appreciated - I'm sure it will be very useful to some as it is extremely hard to translate different sounds into words when people ask me.

The following photos are merely some examples and of their fitting which I believe is down to each owners' attention to detail......and said 'personal taste' ?

Attachments

• $_86.JPG
    $_86.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 55
  • S6000505[1].JPG
    S6000505[1].JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4047.jpg
    IMG_4047.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20111231-022351-pm.jpg
    20111231-022351-pm.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 56
  • photo_83151.jpg
    photo_83151.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Stock3.jpg
    Stock3.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 54
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    364.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 131050965_2731079650487601_8397257698768411144_n.jpg
    131050965_2731079650487601_8397257698768411144_n.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Fitting6.jpg
    Fitting6.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 53
  • twin pipe JDM muffler.jpg
    twin pipe JDM muffler.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 56

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I find it constructive for you to highlight for others that my 'JDM' silencer doesn't replicate the OEM Japanese market system - thanks.

You're welcome.

And I'm also grateful for and not forgotten our discussion some years ago when I asked your advice before naming my new silencer and you suggested calling it 'JDM' rather than 'Z432' especially because, as you reminded me, the vertically-stacked silencer (as part of the the twin pipe system) was available as an option on all engine versions and nott just the S20.

Don't recall that aspect of any conversation (and doubt I'd use the 'JDM' acronym as I find it all but meaningless these days), but I do recall giving you - at your request - multiple dimensions/measurements of an OEM twin pipe system which you said you were hoping to replicate. Seems you might have forgotten to replicate the two in, two out aspect in favour of something that hooked up to your single pipe systems. Commercial design concession, no doubt.

The following photos are merely some examples and of their fitting which I believe is down to each owners' attention to detail......and said 'personal taste' ?

Perhaps you could annotate the ten photos, as they appear to be a fairly random selection of variable relevance to the topic (?) and the jpeg file titles are a little, er, right click and save random, to say the least? For instance, the first one looks like an Abarth back box which - ahem - seems to have little to nothing to do with the comparison between the OEM systems and your own. What are we looking at, and why?

johnymd

Club Member
I absolutely love the look of the JDM zstory silencer and I’m very happy with the fit on my ratty car. The single outlet zstory fit the valence perfectly on my silver car. Both cars have similar engines (3lt+) but the sound is very different with the JDM being noisier. It is older though so this may have an effect. I may try and do a video of both in the same clip for comparison.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
@SeanDezart - you're most welcome. I also appreciate you indulging my need to experiment and finding the right one for my taste / sound level requirements.

I would say there is no "man for all seasons" here as they each have their own character.

- The Turbo on a stock L24 / L26 with a straight pipe sounds glorious. But that setup has too much drone on the L28 or an aggressive cam. On the Race / Sport it sounds nice but was noticeably restrictive compared to the ones below.

- The Classic is raucous and a LOT of fun for those who like a burbly and slightly louder car. On a straight pipe, without a centre resonator, I found it too much for me, but with the centre resonator it's a superb sound.

- The JDM is nicely quiet on the cruise / low revs and brilliantly loud at the top with an addictive / distinctive note.

- The Street, as you will see below, is unbelievably quiet on the cruise, nicely aural at the top - with the much of the Classic's tone, but minus a lot of dBs! Great for anyone who likes touring quietly but hearing it when "on it". In fact I see this one as a good option for track use (I once got black flagged with a Classic @ over 5K RPM).

Here's the final one in the series - unless of course anyone wants to send me a different muffler to experiment with. :p

I fear I may have gone too far on the final summary on this one, be gentle with me! ;) But as I said, it's a good bit of fun for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.