ADVANCE WARNING - Site backup and house keeping

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Dear all,

I'm supporting Lord Danger Burns on his efforts to admin our site. (Danger is his middle name)!

Before cleaning up masses of extraneous data / unused files, we need to take a backup.

I'll be kicking off a backup of the site this evening around 22:00. The backup will take approx 10-12 hours and the site may noticeably slow down. Please be aware and patient.

All the best,
Ali

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Dear all,

I'm supporting Lord Danger Burns on his efforts to admin our site. (Danger is his middle name)!
Dangerous maybe to websites et al but his genuine middle name to intimate friends is Blobby-Porcine.

Good luck and thanks on behalf of everyone here.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thanks fellas! Should be a straight forward low risk thing.

But if it goes horribly wrong you won't be able to swear at me publicly ... for a while at least.

See you on the flip side.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
We're still live!!! Yayyyy!

I found a way of doing it without slowing the site down courtesy of my IT guru friend.

The site and it's operating files all backed up, next stage is to backup all the threads / content this eve.

Again same procedure without slowing anyone down.

bluejon

Club Member
Regarding website housekeeping .. is it just me or are parts of the site completely defunct e.g. the Shop doesn't exist, and there are a number of dead links on the top menu in the Community and MembersOnly section.

I might add that many sections of the site feature key content and stickies that haven't been updated in years, even a decade, and the forum structure itself is mindboggling complicated. For a given post say on an S30 issue, it could be posted in 3 of 4 different places all of which would be correct. There is duplication too between forum and community

apols if this is old ground ... just sayin'