Adding to signature

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
I am looking at adding some Japanese Kanji to my signature, but cutting it from my source (email or Word) is fine, but i can't seem to paste in the "edit signature" area. I have tried putting it a a quote, no joy. No "paste" comes up when I right mouse click. The only bit I see that will let me paste is in the web box...but that won't work.

I am not the most computer literate, so....am I being a numpty or is it the way the edit signature is set up?

Cheers
Ian

Mr.F

Inactive
For non-standard characters you may have to generate a picture file (e.g. .jpg or .gif) and add that to your signature...

JakTheRuby

Club Member
It might be because there is no Japanese language character script built into the site? If your machine supports it but the site doesn't then that could be why. That's completely guessing by the way, I'll confirm it later (making a curry for my three lad's tea at the mo!)

andy

Well-Known Forum User
It might be because there is no Japanese language character script built into the site? If your machine supports it but the site doesn't then that could be why. That's completely guessing by the way, I'll confirm it later (making a curry for my three lad's tea at the mo!)

If that's the case it just needs adding to the accepted fonts in the style options

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Well ctrl v worked...cheers for your input. It maybe not completely the correct way to say, but the gist it there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Rob,

-The kanji 年 means Showa, in the regin of, the number relates to the number of years the Japanese Emperor has been on the throne. The 53 relates to 1978 in the Romanized year system. Sometimes you see 1965年 as a mixture of the two.

- ダットサン translates into Datsun

- L型 means L Gata, the L series engine

-改 means in a liberal way, reform, remake, thus the engine is has been remade to 3.2L

- 日産 Nissan

- 初代シルビア translates to first sill beer, the first Silvia, there is no v in the Japanese in their alphabet. That's why the Japanese code for the Z432R is HS30SB where the SB means Special Bersion.

Count, please correct me if I have anything wrong here or add anything as I don't expect to have it spot on..

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Arkwright,
This happens to me depending on what web browser I use...try another one? If you really want, I can email it to you.

Steve,
I have to immerse myself into Kanji the best I can if I want a better understanding of the Slivia..e.g to Google with, as Japan was basically its only market (with a sprinkling of cars in a few other countries). In doing so, I try S30 stuff along the way. I really enjoy it, a bit of a challenge.

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
When you look in the Nissan workshop manual there is a suffix letter, e.g HS30H for the ZG. The manual I have is a 1975 one, so I don't know if the "late" 260z had a different letter...I am looking...but until then..

Last edited by a moderator:

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Nice touch, Ian. Like it.

Can I offer some input?

-The kanji 年 means Showa, in the regin of, the number relates to the number of years the Japanese Emperor has been on the throne. The 53 relates to 1978 in the Romanized year system. Sometimes you see 1965年 as a mixture of the two.

The Kanji 年 doesn't actually read as 'Showa', it reads as 'nen', meaning year.

To indicate the Showa year, just add the letter S before the year and it will usually be understood what you mean. Hence you'd get 'S53', or 'S53年' if you want the full effect. We are now in the 'Heisei' reign, so you will sometimes see the letter H before numbers now. 2011 is 'Heisei 23', appropriately enough.....

Ian Patmore said:
-改 means in a liberal way, reform, remake, thus the engine is has been remade to 3.2L

-改 reads as 'Kai', the first half of 'Kaizo' or 'Kaizou'. In an automotive sense, 'Kaizo' might be best translated as 'Modified'. It's nice Japanese.

Ian Patmore said:
That's why the Japanese code for the Z432R is HS30SB where the SB means Special Bersion.

Slight typo there. The factory code for the Z432-R was 'PS30-SB', and yes - it is reported that the 'SB' stood for Sports or Special "Bersion". Typical quaint phonetic Japanese, which tends to Romanise syllables from their Katakana equivalents. 'V' sound is almost unknown in normal Japanese pronunciation.

Hope that helps.

:)

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
When you look in the Nissan workshop manual there is a suffix letter, e.g HS30H for the ZG. The manual I have is a 1975 one, so I don't know if the "late" 260z had a different letter...I am looking...but until then..

Nissan's 'katashiki' suffixes are quite tricky. That letter 'Q' can mean different things for different periods, and for different market versions. In your car's case Ian I believe it denotes the extra bumph that complied with the E.C.E. emissions directives. The earlier model RS30 that didn't have all that would be an 'RS30-U'.

The 'U' suffix is particularly misleading. Some of our American friends have mistaken it for meaning 'USA' ( it doesn't! ) and the 'RS30-U' is of course an RHD 'Datsun 260Z' model.....

The factory knew what all these suffix codes meant, and for the domestic models thet are quite clear and fairly easily used and understood. Export versions not so widely recognised or used. Minefield!

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Cheers Alan for your input..

I checked the Nissan Workshop manual and Q is for Europe with the above mentioned emissions directives, for both left and right hand drive markets for the 260Z (L26) in 1975 with 5 speed or auto gearbox.