adding relay to headlight wiring

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I've been looking at doing that headlight relay upgrade - seems the best way to do it would be if I could get some of the round 3 pin plugs & sockets that the standard loom uses and just plug into that, rather than cut anything.
Anyone know if/where those 3 pin round plugs are available?

Thanks

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Thanks - yes, vintage connections look right for many of the S30 connectors, but I can't find the one I'm looking for.
I think it needs to be waterproof as it's out the front of the radiator - looks like I'll have to go more modern like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180734646777

Ian

Club Member
I added relays to my headlights, but it made my switch more sensitive so I had to remove it, until I can find a new switch, headlights would cut out over bumps, did it before but only occasionally but after adding the relay it did it all the time.

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
I added relays to my headlights, but it made my switch more sensitive so I had to remove it, until I can find a new switch, headlights would cut out over bumps, did it before but only occasionally but after adding the relay it did it all the time.
[/QUOTE

How did you wire in the relay/relays?

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
I bought one of the Australian relay kits. However I ended up modifying it, as it was designed to fit into the harness at the connectors on the back of the headlights themselves. But there isn't room to do this within the light bowls of the 240. I bought new connectors to join onto the harness at the 3 pin plugs behind the grille. It works fine

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Hi Mike, similar to me - I'd bought connectors to join the harness at the headlights, but the 3 pin plugs look a much better place.
did you find connectors the same as the originals, or did you have to change the loom to new connectors?