Acid Dipping.. Head and Block.

TimW

Club Member
Hello Chaps,

I've been quoted £220 + VAT for acid dipping the head and block of Addison's 260, already dismantled etc.

It seems quite a lot considering you can get a chassis done for £995 + VAT.

Is that the going rate for a head and block these days? And if anyone has the ability to dip for a few quid or a pint (or two) or lots of hugs... that would be great.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Blimey, do they just dip them or do some vigorous cleaning etc?

Stick them in an old bath of water and 'Harpic' - only joking!

johnymd

Club Member
I enquired about getting one of mine dipping by a friend who has a 50 gallon drum of the stuff. He needed the block and head to be very clean before it went into his very expensive acid.

ffastffreddie

Forum User
Hi chaps, as far as I know the iron block and the ally head are cleaned in different solutions.
I've used Surface Processing Ltd in Dudley with some success. I was charged £140 for a block and £60 for a head, plus Vat.
As far as I can tell they have no fixed prices, the chap eyeballs your bits (engine parts) and gives a price.
These prices have varied considerably over the years.
Good luck
Steve

TimW

Club Member
Thanks guys,

My thoughts exactly Rob... Blimey!...

Thanks Freddie, that's the same company that quoted me, SPL. Good to hear you've used them with success.

I enquired about getting one of mine dipping by a friend who has a 50 gallon drum of the stuff. He needed the block and head to be very clean before it went into his very expensive acid.

I think DC Engine Builder (Dave) is looking in to acid prices and it sounded expensive. That price was with the block and head delivered clean enough to dip.

Where can you get a chassis done for under a grand plus VAT?

Surface Processing Ltd. I didn't call directly. Dave did, but he was given that price for the first dip (the one that shocks.. lol), then go off and do repairs, take back and dip and protect. I think the total around 2.5k to 3k for protection etc. When I next see Dave I'll ask, he had a full breakdown, prices and process etc.

Out of interest, when at the wet blasters the other day we talked of blasting through the water channels with the jet and they suggested no problem. Not so sure tbh, the concern being that some glass slurry could still remain no matter how much rinsing.

Another thought also, with the acid root the head will also need wet blasted externally to get the OEM finish after dipping as I believe dipping leaves it a dull grey. Not 100% certain, but that's my understanding atm

ffastffreddie

Forum User
Not sure if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs but you need to remove all the core plugs, oil gallery plugs, the filter bypass valve and the restrictors from the head face.
You mentioned aqua blasting the water channels, you'll find the "acid" remove all the limescale etc from the block and you get back a virtually "new" block.
Head finish I find tolerable but much better to aquablast. Also when it comes to cleaning your block you will find glass slurry the least of your worries!
Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_0609.JPG
    IMG_0609.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 26