A weekend at the ring.

johnymd

Club Member
I've been talking about going to the ring for a long time now and when a friend mentioned he was going with a group of work mate's I jumped at the chance to rag the zed around the track. The plan was always to take the blue car but the recent engine failure removed that option. It was then going to be the silver ratlook one but after putting a couple of thousand miles on the red one in the last 6 weeks that became the obvious choice. I knew it wasn't going to be perfect for the track but a least it meant I wouldn't be pushing so hard so less chance of having an off. So that was settled on and last week I did a few more jobs on the car in preparation. Then the day before I was due to go, I had an oil cooler pipe blow off so lost all the engine oil and made a right mess off the car. I had it recovered and started making plans for the silver car depending on what I found on the red one. So the next day I fixed the oil cooler lines and filled it up with oil then held my breath as I started the engine. Oil pressure came up fine and engine sounded sweet. Took the car for a drive after cleaning up most of the oil, packed and picked my mate up then headed for the tunnel. After a stop of in Belgium and some spirited driving around the hills of Spa, we arrived at the nurburgring campsite about 5 on Friday. Emptied the cars then headed for the track for a couple of laps. I really should of watched a few more videos of the track and tried to learn what was round each corner but as I wasn't intending to do any fast laps I just enjoyed myself. The second lap was a bit more spirited and I'll post an incar vid latter today plus a load of pro pictures of me on track. It turned out to be a wise move to do some laps on Friday when it was very quiet and no ques. Saturday night was really busy and I chose not to go out then. The car performed really well and the grip from the nankang ns2r's was immense. I'm very impressed with how well this car goes round the track considering its road spec. It was blisteringly hot all weekend and this contributed to very high oil temps and low pressures. This was another reason why I only took the car out on Friday night.

I'm now hooked on the ring and cant wait to get the blue car fixed and ready for a session at speed. The lap time of 10min 49sec was certainly not quick but I can see it being very easy to take a big chunk of off this if I learnt the track more rev'd the engine a bit more.

This trip has also highlighted a few improvements I need to make to the car if I want to do any more track time. I certainly need much better oil cooling and reinstating a water to oil cooler with a larger air to oil cooler. I also need to shield the fuel filter/regulator from the exhaust as this became too hot to touch very quickly which caused major power loss issues when on track and after extended driving.

Attachments

• IMG_3768.JPG
    IMG_3768.JPG
    383.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3777.JPG
    IMG_3777.JPG
    332.4 KB · Views: 21

uk66fastback

Club Member
Superb weekend I bet. I'm always intrigued by the 'ring ... don't fancy it myself but marvel at the ability of others who take their cars there. Have seen some crazy vids on YT of when it gets too congested and bikes are weaving in and out of you, can make for some hairy moments. It must be great when it isn't that busy.

I bet you're looking forward to getting the blue car back finished and then you'll have the perfect choice ...

johnymd

Club Member
Here's a few pic's of on track.

Attachments

• Nur1.jpg
    Nur1.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Nur2.jpg
    Nur2.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Nur6.jpg
    Nur6.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Nur9.jpg
    Nur9.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Nur13.jpg
    Nur13.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 27
  • Nur17.jpg
    Nur17.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Nur18.jpg
    Nur18.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 27

johnymd

Club Member
You do tend to be constantly looking at who's coming up behind you and trying to stay out of their way. Lots of extremely quick cars.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
John, my lad David is often telling me to try the 'ring (now now) but then I tell him how good Spa is.

I can imagine that it's easily learnt and to be honest John you aren't the best at remembering circuits (or at least you weren't). Perhaps a co-driver with a really good diagram or notes would be best?

I think I would find it all a bit stressful especially if it was busy or wet.

I can remember watching F1 GPs from there on TV!

I tend to think of it like the IoM TT course - so much history and character.

johnymd

Club Member
Yes Rob, I am very bad at remembering which corner is next. With the nordschleife I didn't know any of the corner so nothing to remember :).

Here's a vid of a lap so you can see just how bed I was. I started to get into it by the middle of the lap but had lost the brakes by then. They hadn't gone long, just didn't seam to slow the car down no matter how hard I pushed. Anyway, they came back towards the end. I think it's just the massive amount of braking through the long downhill section.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
John, GREAT VIDEO and gives a superb insight into 'doing the Ring' for the first time. It's quite an eye-opener and it looks so 'full-on'. No wonder your brakes got hot - auto, no knowledge of the circuit so braking for everything. It would be the friction material that was out of it's operating temp I reckon. Also your mate tried but if he can't read it off the 'map' you are best on your own. When I was co-driving that's what I would say to the driver - but he must know! Yep better second half. Well done and thanks for sharing it.

It's great to experience the famous circuit and probably best to do ten laps before 'pushing on'.

Thanks.

johnymd

Club Member
I had to change the pads on the day we went so had no choice but to buy unbranded pads from a local car spares place. The "good" pads I had were covered in oil from the leak.

We didn't go prepared so just borrowed a poor circuit map that didn't show enough detail. Ian did his best and I should of been better prepared.

The track has a great mix of full on twisties and high speed sections with lots of very big altitude changes. It turned out to not be as scary as I thought and with the very grippy tyres I had, there was never a point where I was too fast for the corner. I cant wait for the next time and the red car has proved very capable.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Wow. As Rob said, GREAT VIDEO ... puts me off even more though! A mixture of fast and slow (relatively) cars with drivers of mixed abilities, none of them known!

Doesn't mean I don't like seeing others enjoy it!

johnymd

Club Member
Yes. It’s not easy trying to see where the track goes ahead and constantly be ready to get out of the way of someone behind you. If someone runs up the back of you and you haven’t pulled over to the right then it’s considered your fault so your liable.

status

Well-Known Forum User
I had the inside of my header ceramic coated,that cured the heat problems not cheap but it works

SacCyclone

Club Member
Great video, amazing how fast some of those hot hatches get around the track even though they look un-modified.
I am very lucky to have mates around when I am at a new track so that we can lead and follow each other. I can see how frustrating it would be to drive a track at speed and not know where the road in front of you goes.
Looks like you had great fun no matter.