A new stable partner for the 240z

madda

Well-Known Forum User
A bit different from the e92 M3 it replaced.... :)

Due to the volatility of Brexit and the car market in general, I intended to sit on the funds….but that didn’t last long. I was quickly looking at everything from Ginetta’s, to GT3’s and lots in-between. I suppose that is how I ended up with what’s in my garage now.

Pics first, as who doesn’t love a decent pic? I am fortunate enough to have a good car photographer as a friend so these were taken only a few days after getting her home.

45365494755_53e2a070e0_b.jpg

46227932222_fc82d644f6_b.jpg

31339434307_4269120d84_b.jpg

It now runs a bargain basement plate direct from the DVLA which I think improves the looks no end.

46278087251_48578b07ce_b.jpg

…a quick shot of the interior which shows it’s actually quite a nice place to be.

46227937902_339bfa489d_b.jpg

...and finally, at home with the true love.

44461313580_65c99fe776_b.jpg
[/url]

It’s a Noble GTO 3, 28k miles with only one owner from new before me. It is a twin turbo 3.0 engine pushing 350bhp from factory and it weighs about 1 ton dead. This one has minor upgrades like an LSD, better coilovers and a few choice mods that were done over time, as the places for improvement were exposed.

How does it compare to the BMW?

Surprises – on a 180 mile trip it was comfortable, quiet and rather refined. It isn’t a modern BMW by any means, but it’s actually a nice experience to use on the motorway. The 240z was similar surprise, eating up the miles in so much more comfort than I expected. The air-con works, there is no wind noise (other than addictive turbo flutter) and it soaks up the bumps of British B-roads well. Fuel economy is better which is probably down to the fact it weighs about 600kg less. Also, it’s easier to get in and out of my garage than the BMW was.

Speed – compared with a 625bhp M3 I didn’t expect it to be quicker, but logged with vbox (very accurate) one attempt at a 0-60 and it proved itself to be MUCH easier to get the power down. 4.0sec dead with one go in the damp. 60-100 is where the BMW comes into its own. Again, only a few sensible goes and it put in 5 seconds dead which is smack in the middle between an F10 M5 and an m240i . Not bad at all… On a dry track, it will destroy my BMW times I am sure, but I will prove that next spring all being well.

That something extra – it just feels so damn special! My mate had a go, and when it overtook me on the motorway I swear my jaw dropped. People appear to have a deep seeded love for them, and from your everyday chav to an OAP, they all look and smile. I’ve not managed to fill up without having a chat with someone, and I have people slowing down just so I overtake them, it’s crazy. It’s also great to be controlling old school boost. The BMW was so good at what it did that it felt effortless, the power delivery in this is much more exciting. I am using it every day at the moment, and love it. It goes wherever you point it with such enthusiasm and is such an event to drive.

Plans – it’s a one owner car, with a great history file, but it’s still not as clean as I would like. Jan and Feb we are refreshing the underside, powder coating arms, replacing bushes, cleaning up the chassis etc. Then in March it will be in for some paint. Come April I hope to be back out on the road, up to my M3's standards and hitting a few track days.

In summary, a special car, and a big thumbs up.

I change cars like no ones business, but the 240z will go no where :)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I really respect your choice - I think the Noble is such an underrated car - ernjoy and please report back.

Yes, ther nice thing is it's not seen as a bulging-wallet car so people come over and talk to you - as they do with the Z....hard to buy that kind of car-fan interaction.

Paul_S

Club Member
Love it! They are great photos too :coolgleam:

Yes, that plate looks much nicer. I think those rear lights might benefit from a little tint too? I am being very picky though!

madda

Well-Known Forum User
Love it! They are great photos too :coolgleam:

Yes, that plate looks much nicer. I think those rear lights might benefit from a little tint too? I am being very picky though!

Thanks, I’ll pass on the compliments to the chef/photographer.

I’ve actually got a spare set which I could have a play with. :)

madda

Well-Known Forum User
Are the rear lights from an early Mondeo? They look very similar.
They are, both Peter and Paul were robbed to build these cars. I like the borrowed parts aspect as it all looks so good :)

Would that be the 'illegal' rear plate?! Car looks lovely. I've never been in one but all reports say they are a fantastic drive.

Quite probably. I plan to not run one at all on the front.

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Beautiful cars, a friend of mine has recently bought this one (below).

DSC_0075 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

I've still not got out in it as of yet however I've followed it and can confirm that they are weapons! Also quite unusual and rare compared to most things which I really like...

madda

Well-Known Forum User
Beautiful cars, a friend of mine has recently bought this one (below).

DSC_0075 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

I've still not got out in it as of yet however I've followed it and can confirm that they are weapons! Also quite unusual and rare compared to most things which I really like...

Nice. Looks really clean in that pic. How recently and any idea how much was it was (ball park)? I looked at a 3R but it was a bit tatty.

I ended up going for a 3 with the R upgrades due to the history file, and it being a one owner car. Have to admit, the portofino blue colour really got me too.

He did great things with those. Real shame that he sold out.

He use to build kitcars before these, they nearly ended up as one. Good that they didn't though.

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Nice. Looks really clean in that pic. How recently and any idea how much was it was (ball park)? I looked at a 3R but it was a bit tatty.

I ended up going for a 3 with the R upgrades due to the history file, and it being a one owner car. Have to admit, the portofino blue colour really got me too.

Yes, it really is and looks superb in the flesh. Think its got a few mods taking it up to 450bhp odd from memory. In all honestly I haven't asked but not sure if I saw an advert suggesting 30-35k but that really is more speculation. I haven't asked the question directly...

I really don't know enough about them to know the differences between an 'R' model or not but yours does sound to be cracking and certainly looks superb. Is the one I pictured an R? Proper race car for the road that's for sure! :thumbs:

madda

Well-Known Forum User
Yeah, it looks to be an R, and tidy.

Standard ones are min 45k, so if what you saw is correct and it’s running 450bhp safely it’s the bargain of the century. This is a funky site that pulls all the ones for sale together.

https://blisteringlyquick.com/make/noble/m12/

Even when they are north of 50k, I think for the overall package they take some beating.

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Yeah, it looks to be an R, and tidy.

Standard ones are min 45k, so if what you saw is correct and it’s running 450bhp safely it’s the bargain of the century. This is a funky site that pulls all the ones for sale together.

https://blisteringlyquick.com/make/noble/m12/

Even when they are north of 50k, I think for the overall package they take some beating.

I could be way off the mark with the price then, more specualtion than knowledge... The work seems to have been done to a very high standard and up to the limits of what is safe before getting silly. The new owners attention to detail and standard of cars he owns mean it is a very good one, his cars are always drool worthy!

Interesting to know, very capable platform for sure. Keep us posted with developments :thumbs: