A little L24 on the Dyno...

Lurch

Active Forum User
My engine builder here in Australia - Les Collins Racing - has just finished this L24 for another customer.
The brief from the client was to use the original matching numbers L24 engine (P30 block & E88 head) from his 240Z (that he is restoring), fuel inject it & get some more performance out of it... That Les did in spades!

13308635_1805727932994981_7823069291269828002_o.jpg

Enjoy the video:
[YOUTUBE]kdIHcxxkPqs[/YOUTUBE]

Lurch

Active Forum User
very nice, but why such low compression? does Aus have dodgy fuel?

No, we have 98RON octane fuel easily available here.
What makes you say it's a low static CR?

Static CR is at 10.5:1 so it could have plenty of timing added if required.
Les hasn't found any need to go above 11:1 on L-series engines on 98 pump fuel as they
don't make any more power/torque.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
HP - are you planning to rolling-road it when in the car ? To see what the rwhp is ? Can Les from experience already give a loss % or figure ?

Lurch

Active Forum User
HP - are you planning to rolling-road it when in the car ? To see what the rwhp is ? Can Les from experience already give a loss % or figure ?

I'm unsure if it will be strapped to a chassis dyno (rolling road) - more likely it'll be road tuned to check Lamda if required.
I asked Les & he said from experience it'd make 'around' 180rwKW on a Dyno Dynamics chassis dyno.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
No, we have 98RON octane fuel easily available here.

What makes you say it's a low static CR?

Static CR is at 10.5:1 so it could have plenty of timing added if required.

Les hasn't found any need to go above 11:1 on L-series engines on 98 pump fuel as they

don't make any more power/torque.

10.5:1 just seemed low relative to what can be done. I'm surprised Les finds higher CR doesn't produce more power, but you can't argue with experience. I wonder why they don't produce more.

Lurch

Active Forum User
Cost for a complete engine, dyno tuned & ready to install in a Z is around AUS$26,000

The 'VVTI' comment Jeff made in the thread is incorrect.
The rods are indeed off-the-shelf I-Beam items with 137mm centres that are commonly available,
and fit variety of engines.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks Lurch for your transparency - I think the price'll calm a few minds here....not quite ready to double the cost of their Z;)
.....doesn't shock me - I've seen plenty of stroker prices from different suppliers including the Green Hornet.

Enjoy mate:thumbs:

richiep

Club Member
As Sean said, thanks Lurch.

Top end stuff = money. All the LCR builds I've seen look great. Very methodically executed.

Little anecdote: the reason I guessed 3SGE rods is because they can be used in a stroker to achieve 3.2L with an offset ground LD28 crank and custom Pistons. So I thought they'd be a good candidate in this case (wrongly).

strugrat

Club Member
I had a quote for a 3.4L on Carbs (330bhp). Made me wince but if I had the money it is where I would go no question.

(I did have the money but it ended up going on the body! Such is life.)