A fresh Z owner - Greetings!

Thunder

Club Member
Hi Everyone!

My name is Aleksander and would like to send my greetings from Estonia. Been a happy owner of a blue 1978 Datsun 280z (2+0) for bit more than a week now.

To be honest, as with the prices today I really did not think I would be able to ever own one. However, through weird unexpected coincidence and maybe even pure luck I was able to trade my Nissan S13 for a Z that clearly has rust issues and does not run. This car has always been one of my dreams so I jumped straight in guns blazing.

Will now slowly start to take in all the information on the forums. The deal to trade the car was so impulsive and fast so I must be honest I did not do my full homework as there was a danger on missing out on it. For instance been trying to find a power steering pump for the L28 :D. Turns out there isn't one and that also explains all the electric ones on aftermarket.

Anyway, nice to become a member here. Hopefully can contribute to the forum in the future as well not only take all the knowledge for myself :)

Best Regards,
Aleksander

Screenshot 2022-02-07 at 16.36.32.png

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Welcome Aleksander, it looks good in that picture at least. Where's the rust? and how's your welding skills?

Thunder

Club Member
Welcome Aleksander, it looks good in that picture at least. Where's the rust? and how's your welding skills?

Unfortunately, I have no such set of skills.

The paint is nice from far :D. To be fair it seems it was done for selling in the USA. A lot of ugly tuning on it like fake carbon parts etc.

Right now the main rust is in the trunk and spare wheel well. I have a resto shop near my home and a guy came to check it out. They recommended to just fix it so I can drive through the season and then take it apart and blast it on the grill. Of course, that is an expensive venture but will see how it goes. Right now the first mission is to get the car going so I could register it locally.

Added pictures of the fake carbon and the well.

Attachments

• IMG_3342.JPG
    IMG_3342.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3347.JPG
    IMG_3347.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_9764.JPG
    IMG_9764.JPG
    261.9 KB · Views: 70

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi and welcome. Yes fix it to use this year, if you start looking for trouble you'll find it and then not be able to use it.

It looks decent enough to not be ashamed of it so drive it.

Thunder

Club Member
Hi and welcome. Yes fix it to use this year, if you start looking for trouble you'll find it and then not be able to use it.

It looks decent enough to not be ashamed of it so drive it.

True, eventually will still have to go down that path, but not right away. Right now the main mission is to get it road worthy and enjoy it as much as possible over the summer.

I dont think anyone should be ashamed of driving a z :D

Looks good to me

Cheers.

BR,
Aleksander

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Loving the carbon look. Works well with the blue paint.

Thunder

Club Member
It's a good start, drive and enoy it whilst you reflect on what to do.

There is quite an impressive aftermarket presence for building s30's so Im going to start gathering parts for the body restoration so once I go through with it all the rest is already there.

For now, main thing is to hit the streets when the snow melts and the salt is washed away.