918 Colour Mix differences

dotMorse

Club Member
Afternoon All. I am getting to the stage of the paint shop needing my colour reference. I have visited 2 paint shops to get some samples of the 918 colour mix and it looks slightly brown. The car was resprayed white and so there are not many areas that have the original colour and the ones that do are not in a 'colour match' state.

Looking at photos of 918 240z's they certainly look orange but my paint test looks a browny orange and not the punchy bright colour you see in photos.

Do anyone have any other breakdown of the paint mix other than;

1972 Datsun - Mexican Orange - 918
PPG: 60636
Dupont: 8715
Sherwin Williams: 43341972

@franky had a great photo of his 918 mix on the bare chasis which is the orange I am going towards (https://zclub.net/community/index.php?threads/paint-codes.19397/) but the recent car (https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1...3UbiuqikpGVMv_cWoBjs4-jBdAiHp8r9WEkA1EAB_L3Nk) that sold definitely look the browny mix my sample goes towards in a couple of the photos.

Just want to make sure I give the right reference before I spray up the entire car....

Second option is VW Magma orange as I have seen a few of these in the flesh on VW's etc, and it has the right look.

uk66fastback

Club Member
First thing to say is that you cannot tell accurately what a car's colour is from a picture on an RGB screen.

You need to see these cars in the flesh with your own eyes if at al possible. if both the cars mentioned above were mixed to the correct paint code they should both look the same - allowing for time of course taking the edge off the colour,
I prefer the Franklin mint slightly brown 918, but you can't be sure that isn't just the camera quality/Photoshop and they are in fact the same. Does anyone on here who is relatively close to you, have a newly painted 918 car - it'd be worth going to see if it is going to bother you that much if it is slightly out.

This IS the hardest bit of any car resto - well, it's as hard as you want to make it, to be honest!

The bring a trailer car was re painted so you can’t count on that being correct. With 918 the light affects it lots also. Sometimes my car looks like a terracotta orange, other light it can really ‘pop’. I did my mix based on 3 original panels.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
The paint formula used in the production of the car will be totally different to today's paint systems. Back then it would have probably had lead in it and not many paint systems are capable of doing an exact match as they all use different tinters.

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
If you have the correct colour then it entirely depends on the lighting as to what you see, supposedly mine is the correct shade and has been commented upon by many people as being so. It can look bright ands really pops out in the sunlight however in the shade it can go an almost brown terracotta colour.

I absolutely love it however photos are very deceptive. Given that I love to whore my car out, here are some examples....

Version 2 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

DSC_1604 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

IMG_7675 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

DSC_0081 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

DSC_0630 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

Just got comparison this is Bobbafett's car on here, his is a survivor car with original paint all over. Parked together ours look the same:

DSC_0767 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

Our car's pictured together:

IMG_0314 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

IMG_0228 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

AB2E410F-0AE1-4B89-A553-EEC663153ABD by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

I would not personally go down the VW Magma route, its a bit too Neon and modern for my liking. Each to their own though...

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Another vote for 'it looks different with every light and camera':

0cd98ddbcb960056b9a4686cdaa34a1d.jpg cbe4a10a733a545caa8f9fbc992616bb.jpg 7bfd67d8971a839534f3418b9cd43d64.jpg

There are lots of orange cars on the net that once you investigate, turn out to be a non-original colour.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Mr T - just keep it as an orange shell like that against the white wall with the dark door and charge people admission to see it - I'd pay!

Automotive art I call that ...

If I was respraying a car in 918, I'd be happy with any of these ones above - but go and see one in the flesh, if in any doubt.

dotMorse

Club Member
Well to settle thing I have got the paint shop to spray up a test panel. I am set on the 918 colour although my reference didn't even look close to these. I'll see what the test panel comes back like.

Thanks for the help

Tom