84 N/A engine into an 87 model

Northerner

Club Member
Had a chat with Mr F the other day as my 87 model's engine is now out as its knackered. I have an 84 engine eith 87k that runs sweet and was thinking of doing the transplant. Has anyone done this before ? I have noticed that there maybe issues as the alternator is on the otherside, the belts are different aswell as the injectors and rail. I'm just thinking whether I should go down the route of swoping the electrics or the rail/injectors etc. Any thoughts......:unsure:

Northerner

Club Member
Well I've gone over the two and found that the bolt holes on the earlier engine for the later alternator are there. Also looking at the manifold for the injectors it seems they will just change over.
When swopping over the engines, I did snap all three exhaust to manifold studs. Thats not the main problem as the other one has already been drilled out. I found four snapped studs,two on each manifold and as they have snapped in the thread, I may have to strip off the heads to be drilled unless anyone knows of any cheat ideas ???

Northerner

Club Member
07072011085.jpg

07072011083.jpg

07072011087.jpg