80's Roadsports

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
Quote from www.thegrid.co.uk

HSCC launches 80s Road Sports at Stoneleigh

One of the major announcements at Race Retro today (Friday 14 March) came from the Historic Sports Car Club when the club launched a new 80s Road Sports category for 2009 and beyond.
Building on the runaway success of its existing Historic Road Sports (1947-1969) and 70s Road Sports (1970-1979) categories, the club is now planning to add another race series for the cars of the 1980s.
A pilot race is scheduled for the club's Brands Hatch Indy meeting on 13 September and, subject to the level of interest, a series of races will be run in 2009 building towards potential championship status in 2010.
With well over 100 regular competitors across the current pair of Road Sports Championships, the new series will mirror the existing technical regulations.
"It will be for road-legal production sports cars produced and registered in the 1980s," said HSCC chief executive Grahame White. "Some minor modifications to engines and suspension are permitted, but bodyshells must remain standard. Any cars with turbos would not be eligible."
A wide range of cars could be eligible for 80s Road Sports, including models from Porsche, TVR, MG, Ferrari, Morgan, Fiat, Morgan, Jaguar, Toyota, Mazda and many more.

To register your interest in 80s Road Sports please call the club office on 01327 858400. For more details about the HSCC please visit www.hscc.org.uk

So, choose your weapon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.F

Inactive
Except they'll probably exclude it as the UK cars started in 1990 and all their records will show is turbos...

Nice thought though :)

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
Maybe - there seems to be some doubt as to whether the series only applies to UK market cars.

Your suggestion of Z31 300ZR (SWB non-targa) would perhaps be a better one as the weight limit may be less for the same engine.

I think the car for the series would be the 944 Porsche S2.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Maybe they should open it up to diesels like at Le Mans.........except no turbos !

But what about other Nissans......Primeras for instance ?

Z31TURBO

Well-Known Forum User
call me sour grapes but was the 80's not the decade of the turbo sports car various nissans renaults toyota porches mazdas audis e.t.c. to have an 80's sports car series not allowing turbo's is horse shite surely at the worst way 2 classes run in the same series would make more sense
rant over.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Sounds like we should start a Fantasy league:D !

There are already different classes in the HSCC so Z31TURBO's right - an '80s series without turbos is not representative - I suppose they're afraid of people upping the boost to make silly HP figures !

Z31TURBO

Well-Known Forum User
as if i'd ever do such a thing sean.

ps your greddy pop off valve works well and looks a lot better

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User

yep, caught me off on a tangent there......:eek: !

Just how large a varied field can there be since I seem to remember it as the 'hot hatch' era when 'souped-up saloon cars were prolific.

So what's the choice from A-Z (for those with more time on their hands) ?

Quagmire

Well-Known Forum User
Nope.

Mk1 (AW11) MR2 could be a good one, but in the 1600cc class I'd favour a Mazda MX5 (released 1989)

Hmm fantasy league:rolleyes: , I've owned both 89 mx5 and aw11 mr2 and I could drive the mr2 a lot harder and quicker than the mx5 also the toyota revved alot easier and had more mid range power.

but hey back to the rant. No turbo's:mad:

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
Hmm fantasy league:rolleyes: , I've owned both 89 mx5 and aw11 mr2 and I could drive the mr2 a lot harder and quicker than the mx5 also the toyota revved alot easier and had more mid range power.

Yes, the Toyota 4AGE engine is a good and very tuneable engine (I hope to fit one in my '74 Celica one day), but the balance and poise of my Eunos Roadster is fantastic.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
We neet 'Racer' to reply to this, he has an MR2 and knows a bit about the 70's series!

Quagmire

Well-Known Forum User
4AGE into 74 Celica will be sweet, I love that motor, almost as much as a vw flat four:)

My mr2 had a rebuild engine with HKS cams & pulleys, 256 in and ex, HKS 11:1 gasket and Janspeed SS exhaust, that engine used to love being around the 8k mark.:)

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
Just how large a varied field can there be since I seem to remember it as the 'hot hatch' era when 'souped-up saloon cars were prolific.

So what's the choice from A-Z (for those with more time on their hands) ?

How about we start in Japan ?
And lets assume same engine size class structure -
Class A All cars over 3000cc
Class B All cars 2001cc - 3000cc
Class C Glass-fiber cars 1301cc - 2000cc
Class D1 Metal bodied cars 1301cc - 1600cc
Class D2 Metal bodied cars 1601cc – 2000cc
Class E All cars up to 1300cc

So, Nissan Z31 and maybe Z32 at a squeeze - Class B

Toyota -
MR2 (AW11) produced 1984 - 89 115bhp 1587cc class D2

Celica - choice of 3 chassis:
40 series just creeps in as production ended in 1981, but finding a good GT model could prove tricky these days and I'm sure it would show its design age out on the track (would be better in the 70's Roadsports).
60 series 1982 - 85: weird looking wedge thing with lots of engine choice across markets but best option would probably be 2 litre 18RG and still tricky to come by.
Or T160 series 1986 - 89 2 litre 135bhp but first of the front wheel drive models.

All class D2

Supra -
Mk1 40 series based on contemporary Celica with 6 cylinder 2.8 M series engine (116bhp yuk) ended production in 1981. US and JDM market car.

Mk2 60 series again based on Celica chassis, marketed as Celica-Supra in UK 1982 - 86. Late models came with extended wheel arches and 178bhp six cylinder engine.

Mk3 from 1986 70 series, now a unique chassis with IRS and 200bhp 3 litre engine.

All Class B

More ? It wasn't all front drive hot hatches in the 80's was it ?