7J wheels over 8J for road use?

I've a nice set of wheels...

8j x 15, however i'm seriously considering changing them to the 7j versions so I can run a 60 profile tyre to help with road manners and keep the car a feeling light on its wheels. I'm sure running 205's instead of 225's will allow the car to feel and be a little more fun.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Also it means I can lower the car(set corner weights) nicely without fear of rubbing on the body. I'm not building a monster bhp car, just one that goes/corners and stops nicely, 'fast road' is the phrase i'm thinking of:D

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

Anyone tried both?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Well I wouldn't go wider than 7 at the front and anything bigger at the back will need some careful measurement.

Pic is my car on 7" with 195 tyres (50 and 55) I'm progressing to 205/50/15 which I think will be ideal for me. On the road I use 205/60/15 and they are good - just a bit high geared for track work.

From a 'need' perspective 7" will be fine I'm sure.

Attachments

• P1000342.JPG
    P1000342.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 60

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I'm not as cautious as Rob re widths but 7"s for road use are fine - I have a personal preference for wheels that fill out the wheelarch - dished as some would say.

Check your inset/offset to avoid any rubbing whatever the width !

I'm also a fan of a dish, these do fill the hole nicely, at et0, the 7j ones are a et20, so they'll sit 30mm further in but would still have a nice dish and fill the arch's.

I just need to make sure I do it right first time:unsure:

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
I agree with Rob and Sean ( that makes a change....) about the preference for a maximum of 7J wheels and 205/60 x 15 tyres for both appearance and handling/ride quality.

That provides the ideal combination of the steering 'feel' and sensitivety which is a big enjoyment factor with the early 'Z's, without being too heavy at low speed and parking manouevres which you would get with anything wider.

No doubt there will be others who contradict this and go for 8J and 50 profile tyres, but what you win in the 'street cred' stakes, you lose in the 'driving fun' quota.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
No doubt there will be others who contradict this and go for 8J and 50 profile tyres, but what you win in the 'street cred' stakes, you lose in the 'driving fun' quota.
Ah, there you go - controversy again.....driving fun is also to be had with 8Js and '50's but then you need the power to warrant them AND the willing to exploit them.

Or you add a PS kit for £900.;)

datsfun

Club Member

And I am one of them:p...8J and 50 series will give you better feedback if you really want to enjoy the driving experience. Better if the suspension bushes are also refreshed at same time.Yes steering may be tad heavier at low speeds but there is always a price to pay. And with 50 series, you can go lower too...;)

And looks wise,7j Vs 8j is no contest ( Same offset mind)...

And before the flame brigade trounce me, all IMHO:eek:

On my last cars I went to 7" from 8" for more feel at the front but they were a bit lighter.

Seems like 7j rims would suit my application more. There also seems to be a greater choice of rubber too! :) also a fair bit cheaper for quality Tyres.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
You aint lived until you've driven a Lotus Elan Sprint on standard wheel/tyre size - I have.

I also won a 12 car rally in that car - but from the passenger side.

Bigger is not always better - but to be honest I'm getting a bit tyred :smash: of saying that. The wheels on my 370Z ARE too wide.

Attachments

• Elan.jpg
    Elan.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 16