78` 260Z 2+2 Help!

rdfdr78

Club Member
Hello there,

I`m new to the forum, i`ve inherited the above car and haven`t foggiest when it comes to the car in general, Its in good nick from what i can see very little rust if any. I`ve joined the site to try and get a better understanding of the car and keep it running and keep it in Good shape.
This is probably going to be one of many questions over the next few months i hope you guys out there can help.
whats the best cleaning agent to use for Dash & Interior doors, doors seem to be leather (might be mistaken)?
Also If i want to purchase Original Matts for the car when can i get them from?

Thanks

Richard (newbie)

babydoggen

Forum User
greetings from another newbie :) i always thought they were vinyl ( but i don't get my... restoration project till friday)

suzy

Well-Known Forum User
Welcome Richard - hope you have fun with the 260. Keep an eye out for the cheshire plainz group meetings, you would be made more than welcome ( and you can pick their brains for info!!)

You asked about matts, try MJP (Mr F) he has a section in the traders forum where you can ask the question or just give him a call

tch911

Well-Known Forum User
Welcome to the forum Richard!

For cleaning, Autoglym do a very good product called Vinyl care which is excellent for cleaning dash's, rubber trim, door cards etc, even all the black plastic under the bonnet. It's called "Vinyl and rubber care", comes in a spray bottle. Spray it on a cloth rather than direct onto the item. It's doesn't leave a shiny slick finish like most products out there just a good strong clean finish.

MJP do indeed do good mats, Z farm also do very nice Wilton carpet sets.

Tom

Zep

Club Member
tch911 said:
Welcome to the forum Richard!

For cleaning, Autoglym do a very good product called Vinyl care which is excellent for cleaning dash's, rubber trim, door cards etc, even all the black plastic under the bonnet. It's called "Vinyl and rubber care", comes in a spray bottle. Spray it on a cloth rather than direct onto the item. It's doesn't leave a shiny slick finish like most products out there just a good strong clean finish.

MJP do indeed do good mats, Z farm also do very nice Wilton carpet sets.

Tom

Anyone tried the Autoglym wheel cleaner on polished alloys ? l'd hate to use it and etch the surface finish.
Dean

Last edited by a moderator:

tch911

Well-Known Forum User
I had polished rims on my Cobra, tried Wheel cleaner and they came up but with slight white blotches which took elbow grease to take out. Try Autosol, it's magic. It polishes Chrome, Polished metal and cast items such as inlet manifolds, head covers. It's a cream in a tube. It'll clear rust from bumpers, even quite heavily oxidised (Obviously won't get rid of blatant rot!). Use it on your wheels and They'll shine! For more aggressive cleaning, Autosol and wire wool are the business. It doesn't scratch the surface as much as you'd think but I wouldn't want to use it on something mirror finish but on mirrors and window surrounds, it's a winner.

Zep

Club Member
Thanks, l am concerned with the wheel cleaner stuff - it came in a 'gift pack' but l haven't used it. The phosphoric acid warning put me off.

I picked up a tube of Autosol and was going to use it on the bumpers etc - sounds good. My father-in-law renovates antiques and he swears buy it.

Cheers

tch911

Well-Known Forum User
It's amazing! The wheel cleaner is very good on modern car wheels and plastic wheel trims. But we'd better stop hijacking Richard's link.