74 260Z diff - rebuild or replacement?

simonb

Forum User
Hello all,
Hoping for some advice... I've almost finished my complete rebuild of my 74 260. Only taken 15 years!
The engine is slightly upgraded and will produce about 190hp I think.
The diff is complaining loudly so clearly either needs a rebuild or replacement. So, the question is whether I get a rebuild, and whether that is likely to be up to the job, or replace with another option. Bearing in mind I don't have unlimited funds now and want a replacement that bolts in without much other fuss.
Also, if anybody can signpost to a diff for sale or company I can purchase that would be f-a-b.
Thanks in anticipation!
Simon

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
There's quite a few on ebay.
But they all seem to whine a bit, even after a rebuild, so unless its really bad you might not get the improvement you wish for.

simonb

Forum User
The other option is a Quaiffe LSD but this comes in at about a grand which is a big investment and not one I'd budgeted for. So want to get it back on the road but the finishing line keeps moving!

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Getting a Quaife LSD is an expensive way to get a rebuild, if you don't want an LSD and all you want is to stop the noises.
What sort of noises does it make?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
want to get it back on the road but the finishing line keeps moving!

I know this feeling well!

One has been for sale on eBay for about 4 months and imho it’s £100 over priced - try to make an offer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362551056778

@Minksport may have one as he’s been breaking cars.

The only thing is the condition won’t be known until you put them in.

My 3.54 I just took out didn’t noticeably whine (as Jon said, they all whine a little cruising). It will be up for sale as soon as I prove my 3.9 works fine. But at the current pace of progress that will likely be at least 2-3 weeks. If you haven’t sorted it by then, I’m happy to send it to you for the cost of postage so that you can put it in and if you are happy with it, £120 is what I was going to eBay it for.

As @Huw will tell you, most of these used diffs will benefit from pinion preload re-torque.

simonb

Forum User
That’s great advice, thanks to you both. I got in touch with fourways today and they’ve got some reconditioned diffs which I’ll take advantage of. Not too bothered about a bit of noise as they’re old cars, but need it working properly. If that doesn’t work out I’ll definitely make you an offer.
Al part of the journey, I guess!
Cheers
Simon