3D Printer

Russell

Club Member
I have always wanted one so bought the cheapest kit I could find from China. It was about £70 and just wanted one to tinker with and hopefully make some parts for my hybrid Z.

It arrived and I spent a few evenings building and configuring it. Printed a whistle and a few other bits. Its currently busy printing some parts to upgrade itself and I'm really pleased with it so far.

Does anyone have the badge that goes into the recess in the dash handy with a ruler? Going to have a mess around with cad and that would be an easy design.
Just need the dimensions and hoping someone happens to be bored on Sunday and can have a measure for me.

Russell

Club Member
Here are my first efforts

80379d20af18a9e7e5092334a1da21bd.jpg

a4fa58983e8f40f445308e6b4481acf8.jpg
f597af8b0efd374eed2bf834cc8059bf.jpg

Tried to open a beer with the bottle opener. It snapped...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
thats the only problem with 3d printing, its just not very strong.
but for making non structural stuff and models they're awesome.
have a play with the settings too as i found changing the layering in the slicing software helps boost the strength of the item your making by changing the direction of print.

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
This is cool, I'll be curious to see what you come up with! I've seen several people starting to print interior trim pieces for cars etc...

Not quite Rolls Royce level with their titanium 3D printer but I think they'll be out of reach for a long time :rofl:

Russell

Club Member
This is cool, I'll be curious to see what you come up with! I've seen several people starting to print interior trim pieces for cars etc...

Not quite Rolls Royce level with their titanium 3D printer but I think they'll be out of reach for a long time :rofl:

Could print parts then cover in leather or vinyl. I’m going to make the inside structure of my speedo with it so it bolts together and the screens line up perfectly.

Paul_S

Club Member
I'm really interested in this too. I had no idea 3D printers had come down so much in price (I appreciate quality varies). Out of interest, how many pieces did your printer come in?! A couple of years ago a friend of mine bought a kit and had to assemble circuit boards!

Paul_S

Club Member
Out of interest, how long did it take to print something like the whistle or bottle opener?

Ped

Club Member
That's excellent! Good effort. I fancied printing some headrest seat belt guides. The main thing holding me back was the 3D printing bureau needed a CAD file to work from. Other issue was the size limitation of how wide an item they can print in one piece. They would have had to make it in 2 parts. Gave up in the end after managing to source some from the States. I really think this will be the way forward for replacing interior trim items. The technology is going to get better and cheaper.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
... I really think this will be the way forward for replacing interior trim items. The technology is going to get better and cheaper.

And to your point, eventually body panels and NLA items.

Russell

Club Member
I'm really interested in this too. I had no idea 3D printers had come down so much in price (I appreciate quality varies). Out of interest, how many pieces did your printer come in?! A couple of years ago a friend of mine bought a kit and had to assemble circuit boards!

It came in many... many pieces.

Not for the faint of heart but I'm reasonably handy. Took a few evenings in front of the TV but I'm fairly good at building things anyway.

Russell

Club Member
That's excellent! Good effort. I fancied printing some headrest seat belt guides. The main thing holding me back was the 3D printing bureau needed a CAD file to work from. Other issue was the size limitation of how wide an item they can print in one piece. They would have had to make it in 2 parts. Gave up in the end after managing to source some from the States. I really think this will be the way forward for replacing interior trim items. The technology is going to get better and cheaper.

Mine isn't huge so can print 220mm x 220mm x 240mm. Would take about 6 weeks to print something that large though!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Are you able to scan stuff?

Would love to see someone produce indicator lenses or engine inspection lamp lense etc

Russell

Club Member
Are you able to scan stuff?

Would love to see someone produce indicator lenses or engine inspection lamp lense etc

I don’t have scanning equipment but someone has already modelled the entire inspection lamp including lense so can be printed.