3D Design & Printing

Jason McIvor

Club Member
Folks

Anyone into 3D design and printing in these forums ?
I am a complete amateur at both but find the ability to design and print parts/models/etc at home quite interesting

On thingiverse.com there is a growing number of Datsun related printable objects for some of those hard-to-replace/find items that are not directly in the eye of the discerning Z-nut

Anyway I am trying to see if there is interest and start looking at 3d printing my own bits (interior trim rivet clips to start with)

Let me know

atomman

Club Member
I've done a bit , I 3D printed a map light surround for my 240z , and also scanned some 'sports option' steering arm's and printed them out of Titanium. also designed a few light sabers.

There's loads of interesting stuff you can do with them but it helps if you can use a decent CAD package to do your own designs stuff and export the STL's a bit better,

I found a couple of websites where you can upload your models and just order the parts through them out of nearly whatever material you want to , printed on really expensive printers to that give you even better parts, which is some times better than just using you home one , saying that they are getting better all the time now and cheaper ,

Jason McIvor

Club Member
I've done a bit , I 3D printed a map light surround for my 240z , and also scanned some 'sports option' steering arm's and printed them out of Titanium. also designed a few light sabers.

There's loads of interesting stuff you can do with them but it helps if you can use a decent CAD package to do your own designs stuff and export the STL's a bit better,

I found a couple of websites where you can upload your models and just order the parts through them out of nearly whatever material you want to , printed on really expensive printers to that give you even better parts, which is some times better than just using you home one , saying that they are getting better all the time now and cheaper ,

Atom

Excellent - I didn't even think about getting them printed elsewhere
I've got a Ender 3 Pro - small bits are very difficult to print but I am trying to design the rivet clips to be printable and sturdy on something like the Ender

Will let you know if it works - but it rarely does :banghead:

Attachments

• PXL_20211018_170305081.jpg
    PXL_20211018_170305081.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 30

Geoff-R

Club Member
There is one bit I'd really like to 3D print, the horn contact mount.

Attachments

• 00786162b4458131ac8b56f1aed14550_display_large.jpg
    00786162b4458131ac8b56f1aed14550_display_large.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 45

atomman

Club Member
Screw the Z stuff - this is the important bit. ;)

Here's one I did Rich , I brought a replica Graflex flash and designed all the inside from scratch from titanium and ABS with some machined pieces to , even has a crystal focus soundboard and LED's , I'm gonna upgrade it to NEO pixel next though,

DSC_2394.JPG
IMG_20191001_214203_727.jpg

Jason here's the site I was talking about Shapeways , you can upload models and get them printed out of anything, the metal like Gold etc. they print a mould and cast them,

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=graflex

Here's a Chess set we did for one of the boss's

DSC_2447.JPG

Jason McIvor

Club Member
Here's one I did Rich , I brought a replica Graflex flash and designed all the inside from scratch from titanium and ABS with some machined pieces to , even has a crystal focus soundboard and LED's , I'm gonna upgrade it to NEO pixel next though,

View attachment 47309
View attachment 47310

Jason here's the site I was talking about Shapeways , you can upload models and get them printed out of anything, the metal like Gold etc. they print a mould and cast them,

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=graflex

Here's a Chess set we did for one of the boss's

View attachment 47311

Jeez
That's absolutely amazing - that lightsaber is superb - that's so intricate
The chess set gets better every time I look at it - really cool design and the metal colours are class
Is this your job or a hobby ?

Thanks so much for the link I will have a look

Russell

Club Member
I am designing and 3D printing a ton of stuff for my Z, current one is a relay box to fit in the side of the radiator. My digital speedo is all 3D printed, ECU brackets etc.

My favourite project to date though is probably my "zipline retriever". My dad has a farm and a zipline that goes over a lake. Always had a fishing rod to reel it back in which was asking for trouble. I took an old remote control car apart and used the motor esc etc. designed and 3D printed the entire thing which is essentially a carriage that hangs on the wire with a door magnet on. Just drive it down to the zipline, turn on the magnet and tow it back!

Jason McIvor

Club Member
I am designing and 3D printing a ton of stuff for my Z, current one is a relay box to fit in the side of the radiator. My digital speedo is all 3D printed, ECU brackets etc.

My favourite project to date though is probably my "zipline retriever". My dad has a farm and a zipline that goes over a lake. Always had a fishing rod to reel it back in which was asking for trouble. I took an old remote control car apart and used the motor esc etc. designed and 3D printed the entire thing which is essentially a carriage that hangs on the wire with a door magnet on. Just drive it down to the zipline, turn on the magnet and tow it back!

Genius :cheers:

Do you publish your work on thingiverse etc ?

TimFZ

Club Member
Would be great to make some of these if we get an accurate dimension from someone who has one.

Attachments

• IMG_20210815_081223.jpg
    IMG_20210815_081223.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 26

TugaZ

Club Member
Hi! I've got a printer too and I do a lot of cad stuff for my projects..
I'm trying to get my hands on a full body scan of a 240z to do some work on CFD and so on, but seems to be impossible to find one..
What other cool parts do you print for your Zs?
have made some stuff if you wanna see in my instagram, @TheRustDigger

Jason McIvor

Club Member
Hi! I've got a printer too and I do a lot of cad stuff for my projects..
I'm trying to get my hands on a full body scan of a 240z to do some work on CFD and so on, but seems to be impossible to find one..
What other cool parts do you print for your Zs?
have made some stuff if you wanna see in my instagram, @TheRustDigger

We are in the Ender club ! (I have Ender 3 Pro)
I'm crazy amateur at anything CAD and the most complicated things I have done are LED lights

I've done a couple of promotional LED signs (attached) and some small bits for the Datsun like switch blanks etc

REQUEST : Just found that the internal light for my 280z is broken - pic attached - if anyone has a stl of this that I can print myself it would be superb (otherwise I might try to design my own)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-01-18 at 12.07.00.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-18 at 12.07.00.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 27
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-18 at 12.06.48.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-18 at 12.06.48.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 24
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-18 at 12.06.34.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-18 at 12.06.34.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20220118_145035329~2.jpg
    PXL_20220118_145035329~2.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20220118_145027272~2.jpg
    PXL_20220118_145027272~2.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 29

Jason McIvor

Club Member
We are in the Ender club ! (I have Ender 3 Pro)
I'm crazy amateur at anything CAD and the most complicated things I have done are LED lights

I've done a couple of promotional LED signs (attached) and some small bits for the Datsun like switch blanks etc

REQUEST : Just found that the internal light for my 280z is broken - pic attached - if anyone has a stl of this that I can print myself it would be superb (otherwise I might try to design my own)

Replying to my own comment is a bit sad but ....
I had a go at the light cover as attached - if it works I will publish on Thingiverse

Attachments

• PXL_20220118_165023039~2.jpg
    PXL_20220118_165023039~2.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 38