370Z vs 240Z in Auto Express

Paul_S

Club Member
Thanks for the link :thumbs:

They should have had a yellow 370Z for that ;)

I'd love a 240Z to join mine :)

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
shame they had to mention some small rust bubbles on a wing,its 40 years old !!!!!!!!!!

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Just guessing here but isn’t that the yellow Z Farm restoration that was done for Nissan UK as part of a wider heritage type project coinciding with the early 350Z around 2002/2003

Several cars around the world were done (I think) by various professional restorers.

That yellow one has been shown at lots of events throughout the UK (Japshow etc) and is distinctive in its colour and "minilites"

richiep

Club Member
Doh!!! :eek:
In that case - agreed!!

(I managed to have one the right way round, one wrong at my car's first show after the rebuild back in 08 - needless to say, there was a bit of piss-taking! :lol:)

status

Well-Known Forum User
Sean is right a term often abused, if it was restored properly in the first place it woldnt have rust already coming through,as for the bollocks about the long bonnet,think 2.8 capri ect,i saw the car at the ally pally show,looks nice but if i was having the car restored i would have made sure that every thing was standard,a few things were not,but how far do you want to go,im gonner put my anorak back on

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I don't always believe what journalists say in articles, they make things up to suit their needs :unsure:. Anyway Duncan will probably say it's 'Patina' ;) my car has a shed-load of Patina. :thumbs:

I haven't read an article yet where they compare the old with the new and don't praise the old above the new. They always love the 'involvement' when driving, the lightness and the noise. I have been guilty of that kind of comparison too, but as others have said 'times have moved on'. Would any of us want to drive a veteran car to work, I doubt it but we'd love to have a go at the weekend as a hobby.

The original 240Z was a true 'Classic' the 370Z is a fantasic car (with flaws) but it will never be a 'Classic', just a evolution of a classic car. Thank goodness Nissan still make great sportscars :bow: .

status

Well-Known Forum User
The car is a nice car,not knocking anyone but you just cant compare an old banger with a modern day car,cos lets face it,we all love our old bangers dont we,

Throttleton

Well-Known Forum User
Rust.........
I've got an 8 year Audi covered in the stuff.
To be fair if you want a restoration with original panels which were probs made from average quality steel in them days then you can't just sit back and think it will be problem free forever, you have to keep on top all the time.

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
Didn't the 240Z's start to rust when they were just 4-5 years old in the 70's ? - and the Bumpers went even sooner.

Think Craig's post above sums it up nicely - new wings from Nissan were fitted when the job was done, so make your own minds up.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Ah, there......I have to reply - I was resisting but you've opened the can...............:)

a) yes they did rust because they were left at the docks, they had no or extremely limited rust protection and nobody expected them to rust so quickly so most didn't protect them

b) after 30+ years of experience, this ignorance has been corrected

c) is this not a Nissan show-car and therefore cosseted ? I mean, it's not exposed to the elements is it ?

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
It's not 'cossetted' by Nissan, Sean - quite the opposite- it's not even looked after by them.

It is stored by an external Contractor and lent out to Journos or whoever wants to drive it at any time, Winter or Summer, and not 'cared for' by any one person ( as you or I would ), but left seemingly unserviced and untouched for longish periods.
I get the orders for Service parts from time to time ( amazing, that, really.... I buy the parts from Nissan and sell them back for their own car ? ), and you can tell from the sort of parts they ask for that it hasn't been touched or 'fettled' for some time.

Eight years of storage with little use doesn't help any Classic Car now, does it ?