36th Overall - In the Worlds Toughest Rally!

hatari

Well-Known Forum User
Enjoy the show ......... All Credit to the Sidi Brothers in Kenya for some excellent Photography!

Thanks to all those that followed Car 57's progress. It was an honour to have competed and completed the most gruelling event for both Man and Machine. My Story will be told for generations to come.

Attachments

• Imi.jpg
    Imi.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 154
  • Harlands flying.jpg
    Harlands flying.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 75
  • jayant can fly.jpg
    jayant can fly.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 72
  • jayant stuck 3.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 61
  • John Rose swiming.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator:

hatari

Well-Known Forum User
Strapped Down

When Datsfun said my car has being held by straps he was not kidding you. I would have had a covertable ZED had it not been for these straps! I was told that the Shell was "Sound and Reinforced" :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Strap Down.jpg
    Strap Down.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 93

hatari

Well-Known Forum User
Lloyd trying too Hard?

You Fly .... you swim and you get stuck ...all in the same stage!!!!

Attachments

• lloyd is flying.jpg
    lloyd is flying.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 58
  • lloyd is stuck.jpg
    lloyd is stuck.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 58
  • lloyd is swimming.jpg
    lloyd is swimming.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 65

hatari

Well-Known Forum User
I told Imi not to leave his navigator Behind! :D :D

Attachments

• Dont leave her behind.jpg
    Dont leave her behind.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 57

hatari

Well-Known Forum User
Awards .....

Still On a high .....My prized possession!!!! :D :D

Attachments

• PC050380.JPG
    PC050380.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 60
  • PC050381.JPG
    PC050381.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 62

hatari

Well-Known Forum User
The boys that Made it Happen!!

From Left to Right

Schwaib - Service Van Driver and Manager. Havinder Dhanjal - Rally car Driver. Juma - Mechanic. Balvir Grewal (aka Billy) SUPER MECHANIC, without him there was no hope. Last but not least myself - Harpal Sudle - Co-pilot!!!

Others not in the Picture - Idris, Tarveen, Musa 1 and Musa 2!!!

Possibly the youngest team in the whole event.

Attachments

• PC030384.JPG
    PC030384.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 75

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
sounds like you really really really enjoyed it !!!!!!!!!!!

hatari

Well-Known Forum User
How many of you have the heart to do this to your car? :eek: :eek:

All credit for the paint work goes to Sira Motors in Ilford.:bow: :bow: (Picture one).He put in 4 days hard graft to get it to that immaculate condition.:bow:

He worked over the bank holiday weekend In August to make that body look that good.

Attachments

• P9110385.JPG
    P9110385.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 76
  • PB300383.JPG
    PB300383.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 74

hatari

Well-Known Forum User
Another Service

More Service .... 2 hours left boys ... hope you can put everything back by then!!?

"USIKAJALI!" was the response I got everytime .... meaning "don't stress"

I had an amazing Service team, I cannot thank these guys enough. They are the ones that made sure the car lasted the gruelling 5000kms! :bow: :bow:

Attachments

• PB290391.JPG
    PB290391.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 70
  • PB290393.JPG
    PB290393.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 57

Russ

Club Member
Awesome, congratulations to you!!! I'd like to do something similar one day funds allowing! Really please for you :D Cool photos and memories to last a lifetime no doubt!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
The superb photos and short concise comments get the fully story over!!

Well done I admire your spirit and achievement.

Total cost?

Russ

Club Member
Moved this to frontpage news, anything like this really is club news, and with the magazine no longer a haven for stuff like this we should be promoting it on the homepage, this is cover news stuff. When the new website arrives we can do much more with threads like this, well done again!

hatari

Well-Known Forum User
The superb photos and short concise comments get the fully story over!!

Well done I admire your spirit and achievement.

Total cost?

COST, COST .... I stopped my spreadsheet a long time ago!!! :D:D But it was no where near any of the other entrants. All my Service guys did it for the love of rallying. Billy - my super Mechanic came from West London 3 days before the event, transformed the car, Was with me for the whole 10 days and left straight after the event. Guys like these are hard to find.

Even after planning this for over 3 years, there was no way I could have worked out the cost. It was so far "off" my calculation, because the car left here in a "State" - Shell with running gear and no testing, only when I got to Kenya did I realise the extra work that was going to be needed to get the car to the start ramp - let alone the finish.

Will try and post more this evening ... now I have to get back to work and work out how I am going to pay back the loan and overdraft!

Thanks to all for your positive remarks.

Legendary5

Well-Known Forum User
Thank you for having a look in the kitchen. This is something you will never forget! You are one of them now!!!!
Great men who took part...........:)

datsfun

Club Member
"USIKAJALI!" was the response I got everytime .... meaning "don't stress"

I had an amazing Service team, I cannot thank these guys enough. :bow: :bow:

I see that the old trick of the using a bottle of "sprite" to clean the carbs and engine bay is still being used, judging by the pictures:D:D;)

Hatari, it has been said elsewhere and it will be said for a long time to come, but seriously, " well done". Its great to see that you give full credit to all that supported you before and during the the event as without these key persons, it would be impossible to compete in the event, let alone complete it.

I am sure Mrs Hatari needs a mention as well; she I assume has been listening to the dream for 5+ years now;):D

hatari

Well-Known Forum User
More Thanks

The List of the people I want to thank is Endless.

Mrs Hatari has already been thanked in more ways than one. :D I think I will be thanking her for the rest of my life and she will never let me forget that!!!!

You guys (Datsfun and Area West of London!!!) supported me all the way. Without you and your constant advise, waking you up in the wee hours of the morning ..... "I need a boss kit, I need this and I need that .......!!!" .... It simply would not have happened.

Laurence Evans at Star Motorsports in Coalville - This guy is a real Star. He delivered the front brakes two days before the car was shipped. They never once gave me a problem. Before I flew out, he was still putting together parts for me that I could not have done without. Even during the event he was at hand to help. If I ever did this again, I would not do it without his input.

Z farm - Duncan,(Hope you have recovered from the heat!!) for delivering and arranging for the parts to be shipped with his cars.

Hugh and Debbie - True rallying enthusiasts for their help, rear brakes and directing me to the correct people when I was stuck.

My "sponsors" - When all the Corporate Sponsors shrugged me off :( Your £20's helped make sure that we got the car and team going.;)

Imitiaz Dewji - Car 31, Hardev Sira - Car 30, Nick Mason - Car 50!!

Pmac for the last minute parts!!

I had a goal, which I worked my backside off for. And I thank everyone who played their part to make it possible for me to Achieve it.

It was not plain sailing it was left to the last 3 months to push the car to try and get it completed ...... :mad:

evtech

Well-Known Forum User
Super

Congratulations Sir

Guess you is a very happy Chappy.

Super photos.:thumbs:

Respect:bow:

Nigel

hatari

Well-Known Forum User
The Story Continues

Even the service van needed ....errr .... service!!!

The event is so hard on the rally cars, but the support cars have to push almost the same distance and need attention too. Some of the crews had their vans stuck in Mud ...some even rolled theirs!!! :eek:

Picture two ... Fuel Tank Trouble ... a major leak and off it came for a spot of welding. Off with the exhaust that got battered beyond recognition!! We replaced it will a 110 Landrover type as it had the same bend in it and was alot more robust.

Attachments

• PB260414.JPG
    PB260414.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 38
  • PC010418.JPG
    PC010418.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 46