350Z Buying Advice

From A to Zed

New Forum User
Hi all,

I've just joined today and I'm looking to spend around 15-16k on a 2004 350z with the GT pack. Hopefully around 30k on the clock and UK cars only. Can anyone offer any advice when looking at examples, do the brakes and tyres last ok? Is the Bose stereo worth holding out for and when is the timing belt due? I assume this is a pricey job and worth factoring into the price. Cheers, Matt.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Well the first thing I can help you with is that they don't have a timing belt. Just a good old fashioned chain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.F

Inactive
Servicing is cheap and the intervals quite long. Plugs last to 50 - 60K. There is no fuel filter to replace externally. Oil and air filters are cheap as chips. Look for evidence of regular oil changes with a good quality oil.

There are some known issues, most of which would have been addressed under warranty with a 30K car:
1. Axle clicking - requires hub and driveshaft parts replacing.
2. Cracking noise from rear may require trim removal and attention to inner panel fit.
3. Clutches can be short-lived! Some gearbox input / clutch chatter at idle - improved on later cars.
4. Some gearboxes had a minor selection problem with sixth gear.
5. Original Bridgestone tyres noisy - now superseded with new version.
6. Cutting out on Bose stereo (not a highly respected system amongst car audiophiles, but actually more than adequate for everyday use).
7. Excessive chipping of paint in frontal areas.
8. Premature leather wear in GT models.

...and probably many more minor niggles experienced only by a few!

Paul_S

Club Member
Hi Matt,

I'm in Ashford and have a non-GT '04. Let me know if you'd like to meet up and have a look around the car, etc. to give you an idea what to look for.

Cheers,

Paul

BRONZEE

Well-Known Forum User
Mr F, pretty much said it. The only other thing I would probably add to that is, watch out for the window motors. Make sure the windows drop a tiny bit when you open and close doors, then go back up. If not you maybe up for new window motor/s.

Test drive a few 350'z, so you get a good grounding to what is normal. ;)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Cases of high oil consumption on low mileage cars?

Not sure how you could check this apart from an honest seller or blue smoke.

Paul_S

Club Member
Yes - some of the rev-up engines suffer from this but I don't think it shows as blue smoke. Always worth checking the stick (if you can read the blinkin' thing!) and ask about it. If they have been good and kept receipts for the car, see if then needed to buy additional oil during services.

That said, an '04 will be the original engine and I don't think they had this issue.

Also, common advice seems to be if you aren't interested in the Bose (or think you might upgrade it anyway) then consider a non-GT and you can get the seats re-upholstered in leather if you wish. It can often work out cheaper and you get a better quality leather.

The only other thing you would miss out on (?? or perhaps not ??) is the cruise control.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yeh the dipstick on a 350 has to be the worst ever to use and to read accurately.

Any tips?

For those unfamiliar with the 350 dipstick I realise this may seem a stupid question. It is a flat, flexible blade style design with a bend at the tip to help insert it into the hole at an angle. When you withdraw it there is oil all over the place plus areas where it has been wiped dry!

BRONZEE

Well-Known Forum User
Cases of high oil consumption on low mileage cars?

Not sure how you could check this apart from an honest seller or blue smoke.
The oil consumption problems seems to be with the 2005/6 upwards. Very few in earlier models seem to have this issue. Very well documented in the US.
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232332

Yeh the dipstick on a 350 has to be the worst ever to use and to read accurately.
I'd agree with that, somewhat resembles something that's been jumped on. To get a reading, is lets just say interesting. The wonky dipsticks are in the older models.