350z at last

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all I just thought i'd tell you that i've just seen my first 350z up close at last and what a car it is too, I think it looks so much better in the flesh than in it's photos I'm taking it for a test drive soon along with my mate as he likes it too.. can't wait I have also had a look at the new RX8 which is nice but but just deosn't have the presence of the new Zed car..
Nice one Nissan i'll post my opinon on how it drives as soon as i've taken her out to stretch her legs..

:)

john-boy

Well-Known Forum User
Yeah - saw my first one too, in Woodstock, the other night .. right outside the Chinese ;).

In metallic grey, it certainly looked the business, and I had to admit that I felt a little silly when the guys sitting waiting for a take-away in the window (who were watching me learing at the car) then came out and got in it .. gutted! :D

Not quite as sexy as a Z32, but not a bad effort! ;)

Mr.F

Inactive
If you want to see some 350Zs, then come alomg to the S.E.Z. Group next meet - 7th December, midday, Halfway House. Junction of A127 Southend Arterial Road and A128 Brentwood / Ingrave Road. I've invited the guys from the 350Z forum who have now taken delivery of their new cars and are dying to show them off whenever possible.
Also a good showing of earlier Zs and ZXs promised.....

Tony 260Z

Club Member
I was wondering what the date would be and whether it would clash with other commitments! 7th is good news - CYA there!

TL

status

Well-Known Forum User
Zeeeeeeeeeeeee

Might be there in my new saab,or my old saab,or even in one of my zeds,stuck for choice,cant make me mind up.how does me hair look

Mr.F

Inactive
Best be in a Z - there is honour to be upheld here! Your hair looks as bad as usual......

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I've seen them on trailer lorrys, I saw the car at the NEC and MY opinion is I'm disappointed.

I compare it to the 240.

There isn't the luggage space for two for a weekend as per the 240, it's crampt inside, the materail looks cheaper than the inside of the 240, which regularly gets a slagging off from journalists who prefer that of an MG !

I'm sure it compares well against its opposition (the aim of course), in performance per pound and the fact it is strictly a two seater - none of this Porsche, MG, Audi 2 + somethings.

Handling, I don't know, haven't seen a road or track test report over here but I assume it's pretty good.

Still say the front end is awful and the profile of the glass reminds me of the 100NX and 300TT.

Russ

Club Member
Wonder when I'll see one in Somerset :( If it looks nicer in the flesh then I might try to half inch it! Lets hope I dont see one...

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Tony, I don't feel I need to be enthusiastic for Nissans' sake. They could have consulted every Z club on a future Z design, they could have imported more prestigeuse cars during the 70s and 80s to push sales of the more bland but more profitable saloons and, and, and....
Yeah, I'm hard on the lil' deuce coupe but I'm not gonna like it just because it has a Z badge ! Citroen had a ZX !
The car will have to earn its reputation - when will we see it rallying or more probably racing , God, I want to experience it at Le Mans in the GT class against Porsche 911GT3s !

Mr.F

Inactive
Clarkson
Dezart........................................................................................................................................................the Rest

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Mr F.

Nice, very nice but I've improved upon his hair-style !

Give me an R32 and I'll vote for you (and yours) !

Yes, the car appeals to a new breed of sports-car fan, just as every model has since the Z launch but I'd still prefer a 280ZX 2+2 to a 350Z ! Of course, I would be keeping my 350Z killer 240 as well !

So, when are we gonna see 'em race (outside of Japan) ?

Mr.F

Inactive
Already racing with moderate success in America - search on 350ZUK.com for some reports from FrankieZZ. Race and rally in Japan, but I don't have any confirmed results yet.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
The word in Japanese racing circles is that the aerodynamics of the front end need to be improved. At the moment, the car is being held back by the limitations of the stock front end and the parts that they are forced to use with it.

Apparently, history might be about to repeat itself. I hear that an improved-aero limited edition might be sold to the General Public ( probably only in Japan ) that will enable the Factory to homologate a longer front end with improved dynamics. Shades of the 240ZG and the race 240ZR.....................

Central 20 and a couple of other companies are already making an extended-nose "ZG" version without the full support of the Factory. Its a bit cheeky of them to use the "ZG" nomenclature, but they DO at least have a looooong history with the Z and Yanagida san was pretty-much a Works driver in his day.

Now it seems possible that the Factory will follow suit and make an official homologation special in 2004.

Its all hush hush at the moment though, so don't expect anyone to know anything about it or even admit they know.

Tony 260Z

Club Member
Sean, I was a bit tongue-in-cheek y'know...

Having been in one and seen a couple up close, I am more enthusiastic, but at the same time I agree it would be silly to over-enthuse just because it has a Z badge. Luckily, from what I see and hear, while it might not have the visual impact in 2003 that the 240 did when it was released, it's a very capable package overall. The one I went in was being run-in but even then it felt like it wanted to really go for it. It felt very solid and purposeful. I'd love to see it take on some established racers too! Strap on a turbo... wow.

I think the 350 definitely looks better in the flesh than in any photo, and having seen one of the gold ones yesterday (sorry, can't remember what Nissan call that gold paint) I can tell you that in sunshine that gold really looks lovely (IMHO). The front of the car could be better I agree, but in these days of computer-designed aerodynamic efficiency I don't think there's as much leeway as there used to be. I guess that's part of the point of bodykits!

Also, remember the price bracket we're talking about. I'm sure Nissan have sacrificed some interior fluffiness in favour of better handling and grunt.

So, yes and no. I'd keep my own 260 over a 350, but that's just personal preference and the fact I wanted a 260 for so long. Doesn't mean I'm not thrilled at the fact that a new Z can still kick *ss :)

Mr.F

Inactive
Will the 350Z G-Nose look like this?
showphoto.php

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Originally posted by Albrecht
Central 20 and a couple of other companies are already making an extended-nose "ZG" version without the full support of the Factory. Its a bit cheeky of them to use the "ZG" nomenclature, but they DO at least have a looooong history with the Z and Yanagida san was pretty-much a Works driver in his day.

Pay attention at the back of the class.

The pic in the link is probably one of the "unofficial" jobs that are already knocking around - as I pointed out - and NOT an official Factory product.

To homologate parts for racing its going to have to be done properly and officially. Look out for news of just such a version in 2004, which almost certainly will not be officially sold outside Japan.

So that image is copyright of this site then? Hmmmm...............

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Originally posted by Albrecht
Pay attention at the back of the class.

The pic in the link is probably one of the "unofficial" jobs that are already knocking around - as I pointed out - and NOT an official Factory product.

Looks more like a 'photoshop' image to me......Yuk! it's horrible!
Almost as bad as that "Nemesis" car at Billing, with the elongated nose cone!
If they are going to change the front end for "aerodynamic" reasons, at least try to make it attractive and vaguely 21st century, rather than '70/'80s bodykit style!
JEZ

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.F

Inactive
I'm still trying to figure out how I implied that the image is the "official" version. It's a bit of fun and someone's idea of how a 350Z could be "improved" in their eyes - lighten up!

Russ - probably best you don't apply Z Club "copyright" to images like this one.......