$310,000 240z discussion podcast/vid

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
An interesting enough discussion, but based on the belief that the $315k Bring-a-Trailer 240Z was a *real* transaction, when it was a little bit more like Smoke & Mirrors.

The owner of the car basically sold it to himself, via a 'dealer' who was in on the swizz. So, essentially he's bidding against himself and when he 'wins' the auction he doesn't actually have to pay any more than the Bring-a-Trailer commission (about $5k?), whilst having hyped up the car as 'unique' and - as proved by the BaT data - 'worth' $310k.

A few months later - surprise surprise - the car changes hands for real, and for an undisclosed sum which is certainly *more* than it 'sold' for in the BaT auction.

Clever, or fraudulent? Maybe both?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Oh, and the Carmudgeon 'L24 is a Mercedes design' / 'Nissan were making it under license' etc stuff is all a load of cobblers.

AD240Z

Club Member
An interesting enough discussion, but based on the belief that the $315k Bring-a-Trailer 240Z was a *real* transaction, when it was a little bit more like Smoke & Mirrors.

The owner of the car basically sold it to himself, via a 'dealer' who was in on the swizz. So, essentially he's bidding against himself and when he 'wins' the auction he doesn't actually have to pay any more than the Bring-a-Trailer commission (about $5k?), whilst having hyped up the car as 'unique' and - as proved by the BaT data - 'worth' $310k.

A few months later - surprise surprise - the car changes hands for real, and for an undisclosed sum which is certainly *more* than it 'sold' for in the BaT auction.

Clever, or fraudulent? Maybe both?

I remember reading that but couldnt find the reference - thought it was on classiczcars somewhere.

I also remember trying to look up if 'shill bidding' was illegal and believe it is - but there werent many examples of guilty outcomes in the US ( i didnt look that hard) - assume they 'got away with it'?

Ive listened to a few of these guys podcasts and quite like their approach and seem pretty knowledgable on the whole ( above excepted) . Some podcasts barely make it off my drive on a morning,