300zx TT gives blue smoke from exhaust

Oestergaard

Well-Known Forum User
Hello.
My 1990 300 zx TT has begun to make blue (and bad smelling) smoke from the left exhaust pipe, at idle speed. The car has run 235.000 km. Recently I have installed new valve stem seals, and new hyd. lifters. That was a quite big job. Unfortunately the car is still making blue smoke.
I suspect the turbos to be worn.
Question: Has anyone had a similar problem, or know what could be wrong. I think it would probably be the turbos and not worn pistonrings, since the engine is running smoothly at idle.
Finest regards, Michael, Denmark.

evtech

Well-Known Forum User
My turbo smoked real bad at first run up mid this year, I had fitted a full service kit and it felt 'all nice', (i was well happy) so I stripped it again and cleaned all parts, took a couple of measuments and found that the turbo shaft had been ground minus 10thou at a previous factory rebuild.

Gave up and sent it to BTN Turbos for crack testing and rebuild, lucky that cause the shaft had 3 cracks through it at near 70%.

Now blows sweet and sounds crisp, and smoke has gone at idle, still get a little bit when blowing but this winters re-ring should sort that.

There is not much allowance (tolerance) in the turbo for 'wear' before it starts to allow blow-by, the main failure is the tiny spring labrinth seals between gas housings and the oil supply area for the plain bushes/bearings.

Regards

Nigel

Oestergaard

Well-Known Forum User
Blue smoke from ex. pipe

Hi.
First of all THANKS for helping with suggestions to my problem. I forgot to mention that the smoke appeared after I built a stainless ex system with hi flow cats and straight through mufflers. JWT says that the turbos could leak oil if there is no backpressure. Still I will put new pcv valves on, and perhaps upgrade the turbos to sport 500 from JWT.
Thank you both for helping :santa: .
Hope I can help you back sometime.
Michael Oestergaard, Denmark

Attachments

• IM001.JPG
    IM001.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IM002.JPG
    IM002.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 10

Gio

Well-Known Forum User
Oestergaard said:
JWT says that the turbos could leak oil if there is no backpressure.
Although I am not mechanical, that is what "everyone knows" about our turbos. It has happened so many times after people de-cat, it may even be true:D.
[famous last words]My Z has 225,000km and once started to smoke but after replacing all the PCV stuff it seems to be OK now [/flw].
My guess would be that if you are only getting smoke from one bank it would be more likely to be the turbo on that side - however, if you haven't done the PCV valves before, you'll need to do them anyway even with new turbos so you might as well try it to see if it helps.

jimmer

Well-Known Forum User
you can check the pcv valves by removing them and giving them each a shake by your ear.if it rattles then the ball inside is moving correctly and doing its job.;)

Oestergaard

Well-Known Forum User
Great thanks to Nigel, Gio, and Jimmer. I'll check the valves, and see what that gives me.
Finest regards, Michael

Oestergaard

Well-Known Forum User
Hello again.
I'd just checked both PCV's, and they are fine with no dirt inside. They are a little wet with oil, and they rattle when being shaked. The lead air through the one way and are closed the other way.
I guess I'd better find some $ for that Sport 500 turbo upgrade from JWT... :D
Attached pics of both PCV's.
Regards, Michael

Attachments

• RIMG01.JPG
    RIMG01.JPG
    388.7 KB · Views: 15
  • RIMG02.JPG
    RIMG02.JPG
    424.9 KB · Views: 12