300zx on lpg(gas)

nncferreira

Well-Known Forum User
hello any suggests about lpg (gas) on 300zx n/a turbo 1996 ! is good??
:bow::( am think to convert but i need to know if is worth ? thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:

Nidge74

New Forum User
I'd have thought it was a simple calculation between £cost and £reward.

I would guess a conversion would not be cheap, but by being able to use 1/2 price fuel how long would it take to spend the equivalent amount on normal Super?

Then you would need to consider if there would be any performance related loss, of you aint that bother about performance then it aint important. :)

A quick Google shows an average 6 cyl conversion is on the region of £1500.

zpuppy

Well-Known Forum User
LPG can have some drawbacks such as decreased range and loss of power. I would shy away from running a z32 on it just for those reasons alone. There has been talk of increased heat levels on valve seats and increased wear on these items,,but to my knowledge,,unproven as yet.

zedhead240

Well-Known Forum User
ive been running LPG on my defender for 12 years and have had no problems so far and the way the engine is set up with timing advanced it goes better on it .I also find you get less contaminates in the oil so if your keeping the car for a long time it might make economical sense .The range is the real issue and the availability of fueling points ,3 have stopped doing it in the last few years around my area alone .

Gio

Well-Known Forum User
Damn, I was hoping to be the first and spring a surprise. But musn't be dog-in-manger so here's what I found out so far even though I haven't done it yet.
1) Mr F reckons that there should be no reason in theory why it can't be done. It's a modern V6 with ECU so "should" be OK. (as long as it's healthy and as long as it doesn't have some appallingly setup aftermarket bodge).
2) My local mobile car sparks came round in an LPG'ed Nissan Stagea and after curing a few dodgy bits, says it's now fine.
3) I emailed / filled in on-line forms to several places but only ever had two replies: one from a garage in NW London who said £999+VAT for Lovato equipment and one from one in Surrey at £1,599+VAT for BRC Multipoint.
4) I'm a bit cynical about such a price difference but then again you get what you pay for. Just haven't got into my comfort zone with either yet. Still more research to do.
5) A few year's back, a colleague of mine had it done to his Cherokee Jeep and he said yes, it cut his performance/mpg by maybe 10% but it cut his fuel cost in half so he didn't give a rats' whatsit.

Be interested if anyone has other advice, too.