3 Way Hose Connector?

Nmd14

Club Member
Hi All,

Before bending over and paying the extortionate post and charges from the US, I wondered if anyone here has managed to find a 3 way hose water pipe connector (pic attached) from anywhere else?

Many thanks,

Nick D.

Attachments

• 3 Way Hose Connector.jpg
    3 Way Hose Connector.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 44

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Are you using all 3 hoses? Most of us only use two (carb section removed) and so you can adapt fittings.

Nmd14

Club Member
Are you using all 3 hoses? Most of us only use two (carb section removed) and so you can adapt fittings.

Hi Rob,

No, I'm using two but from my limited knowledge, it seemed I can only replace the existing with a 3 way connector with the appropriate section removed.

TimFZ

Club Member
Regarding this connector, it seems the short hose connecting the 3 way out to the carbs section is two sizes, approx 12mm out and 19mm in and only about 50mm long. Does anyone have a method of easily connecting these together or is it a specific hose section I need. I found this one weeping too.... Or I could blank off as you guys did, presumably at the top of the head as well on the return.

richiep

Club Member
There’s a specific reducer hose that fits in that location. Can be bought new relatively easily.

Blanking it off is usually reserved for when running triple carbs/ITBs, as those setups do not feature manifold cooling. You wouldn’t want to block the head coolant connector off though.

Farmer42

Club Member
Not sure which part of the Y-connector you are trying to blank off if indeed we are still talking about that connector. If so, when its bolted to the block you should have one outlet with a hose that runs up to one of the heater stubs at the bulkhead, one that has a hose that runs alongside the block and connects to a connector at the front along with the bottom radiator hose and the last one connects to a pipe that runs round the back of the head and connects to the back of the inlet manifold on stock SU carbs. Its the last one round the back of the head that you can block of - none of the others. If you block off that pipe, you will also need to block the outlet to the thermostat housing.

toopy

Club Member
Hi Rob,

No, I'm using two but from my limited knowledge, it seemed I can only replace the existing with a 3 way connector with the appropriate section removed.

I think most people, including myself, that blank of the hose from the carbs, keep the 3way connector because it is held neatly against the block with the screw fitting.
For those not bothered, any copper/aluminium/stainless steel hose joiner would suffice.

as an example https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/...ment/sheets-and-tubing/aluminium-hose-joiners

TimFZ

Club Member
Hi - thanks for the information Farmer42. Yes, that's the route I have and my intention is to keep everything standard in terms of pipework as it is all working (even did a successful "in-car" flush of the heater matrix which now runs clear and flows well so at least that doesnt have to come out for now! I have a new 19mm to 13mm (approx) reducer pipe coming this week and because I also have the original (45 years old!) pipe from the bottom hose to the 3 way valve, will replace this too so everything is more reliable.

TimFZ

Club Member
Quick update - bought a "silicone hose, straight reducer from 19mm to 13mm" on E-bay for £5.48 including postage, fits the little reducer pipe space perfectly. No leaks now and after doing and "in car" flush of the heater matrix, I also have heat on my feet too when its warmed up, result! Ready for a drive tomorrow, trouble is its wet..... so will probably take my galvanised van which wont disolve in the rain....