3.1 engine done now...

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
3.2 engine done now...

Hi All,
Well, after a long time my engine is finally done. From doing the work myself using a cylinder head butchered by a couple of "z experts" to building the block myself and using the Rusch Motorsports head I had built (see thread below), I decided to bite the bullet and get the engine built properly using the Rusch cylinder head.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=113246

I know a couple of people asked about my build, to which I appologize for not telling them, but I wanted to get it built, back to me and have some numbers to give, rather than figures picked out of the air.

Lets get this straight first, this is a race spec engine that is built for the road, not an engine thats all peeky and unusable......

So, after giving them cylinder head (which they tweeked ever so slightly to get the required inlet/outlet flow figures), LD28 crank, 48mm Dellortos, inlet manifold and a few bits and pieces......a few long chats about requirements, expectations, payment and logistics, last week I got my built engine back.

I have yet to get the engine full dyno figures back, but peak bhp is 309.7 @6400rpm and peak torque is 283.3lbs @5000rpm.

They rejetted my Dellortos carbs and set them up, so no fiddling on a rolling road to get them set up. The engine is fully guaranteed, unless I break it from a lack of oil or water.

And the engine builder...Rebello Racing in California, USA.

Last edited by a moderator:

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Absolutely brilliant, I bet you can't wait to use it.....So....does this mean that we should see it at the drag challenge then:thumbs: ... am sure you'll want to verify all that power, the quickest 3.1 ever to run was Kevin Irons at around 13.9 seconds (I think).

Incidentally, you mention that Rebello have pre jetted the carbs, I know that Rebello have an open air engine dyno at the back of their workshops, how do they cater for the many variables that you may incur such as differences in fuel octane ratings (US versus UK), climate and presumably a different exhaust or did they have your entire system.

datsfun

Club Member
That is a super result ; robello are a great engine builder with lots of history & credibility:D

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
That should be a top engine with fearsome performance ..... REALLY looking forward to seeing a true Rebello stroker running in the UK

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Excellent Ian - it's going into the 260Z then ?

I'm interested in what else has been done to obtain the impressive figures - you're 30bhb above mine and mine aint all peeky either.

Also, what mods have/will you done/do to get that much power on the road and keep it there ?

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Awesome can't wait to see it fitted to the car. Would be good to see what kind of power curve and engine like that has, will you have a graph of the power or just numbers?

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Try and answer questions....

Thanks for your comments.
I tried adding some pictures of how the engine arrived, but they did not upload, so I am trying again. Anyway, the engine is not yet in the car, waiting for a few small bits so can go ahead.

Rebello has two engine dynos....the carbs will probably require a change of jet(s), but at least I am near and are not starting from scratch. Some of the jets I put in the carbs as a starting point (and chokes) were so far out. I gave them a selection around what they wanted, so I should already have what I need. They did not have my exhaust header and exhaust.

As for the drag challenge, you may well see me there, but as a complete novice don't expect blistering performances. I need to get used to driving a zed and the engine, as I have not driven a zed since 1994. I'm not saying my Rebello built engine is going to be in the same league, but speaking to another Rebello customer who runs basiclly the same set up (and produces 2bhp more and 10lbs more torque), using a 5 speed 'box and an open 3.7 (I think) diff, a 1/4 time of 12.6 secs. Changed to a 4 speed 'box and 4.11 LSD, the time came down to 12.3 secs. But I have not had this engine built as a drag challenger.

I am waiting for the dyno sheet to come, and its only figures, but I am sure I can get it put into graph format.

Yes, engine going in my 260z. As for whats been done, no trick bits (apart from the Kameari chain tensioner I sent them). Its been said before, its all in the cylinder head breathing, which only a few can get right. A couple of examples, if I had a Rebello cylinder head instead of my Rusch one, I would be looking at producing 330 bhp. And the engine I used in the above drag time example runs a full compression point less and a lower spec cam. Yet still gets a little bit more out of the engine than mine. Dave Rebello was very impressed with the flow figures from my Rusch head, comsidering no flow bench was used by Rusch. Dave Rebello is frequently sorting out other engine tuners efforts at cylinder head magic.

As for keeping the power there, I will be fitting a Quaife diff, but for the moment I am running an open diff just to get the car on the road and to see if running a 3.9 or 3.7 is more suitable, even though the engine will pull easily from 2000rpm. Arizona billet moustache bar, uprated u joints, an standard diff mount running with an adjustable diff brace I got when I was in Australia (see my gallery), Kameari transmission and engine mounts. I am not saying I have gone the right way, but at least its a good start and I can change things as I go on.

As for shipping, if you are serious about getting a Rebello built engine, they can help with that area.

I hope that covers questons so far....
Ian

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Lets try more

And a few more...

Attachments

• DSCF0220.JPG
    DSCF0220.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCF0221.JPG
    DSCF0221.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCF0223.JPG
    DSCF0223.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 154

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Carbs

A couple of the carbs and the lovely air trumpets

Attachments

• DSCF0224.JPG
    DSCF0224.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCF0225.JPG
    DSCF0225.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 93

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
Very nice Ian, I admire your long term project, 3 years of it drove me nuts and the really painful bit is being about 70% there and still no car to drive....I hope it works out to be a serious car when completed and you gain what you strive for....;)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Forgive me for being dubious - no trick bits apart from the cam timing and 100bhp per litre from an SOHC on what compression ratio ?

Mine is 9.5:1 and if I upped that to 11.5:1 and changed the cam, I too could have upwards of 300 but then it wouldn't be a road engine and would need 'tweaking' too often !

Like a lot in life, 'it's all in the head' and Rebello knows that !

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
PUBLIC REQUEST / CHALLENGE .......

This would make a FANTASTIC magazine article, comparing Sean's DJ built 3.1 (impeccable pedigree and reputation from the master builder), Skiddy's next 3.1 engine (Serious "home done" engineering and out of the box thinking) and the Rebello 3.1(America's big name). The only thing missing for an awesome comparison would be a full blown Kameari.

The article could cover all cars being dyno'd together to get comparitive graphs from the same dyno on the same day, a sprint down Bruntingthorpe's straight for acceleration and terminal speed comparisons. A run down the strip at the Pod and a time around a circuit ......

This would I believe, be the first time that 3 such engines, all pedigree in their own right, would have been put to the test in this way.

C'mon Guys, you know it makes sense ......

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Zhead that's an awesome idea...I'd like to do a turbo comparison version with my car and the other turbo l28's in the club.

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
JEZ300Z said:
Hi,
You could get the Stig in to drive them too! :p

One of the people who has done a Stig tour of duty regularly spends time at Bruntingthorpe ........ there have been a fair few as I am sure you know

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
ZHead said:
This would make a FANTASTIC magazine article, comparing Sean's DJ built 3.1 (impeccable pedigree and reputation from the master builder), Skiddy's next 3.1 engine (Serious "home done" engineering and out of the box thinking) and the Rebello 3.1(America's big name). ....

Seans engine is a bit on the soft side to compare DJ's work against the others. I'd recommend the GTO replica engine instead.

:)