2JZ-GTE engine transplant

mark240z

Well-Known Forum User
im thinking of putting a 2JZ-GTE lump in my 240, has any one on here done this conversion? just wondering what was involved with the rear subframe and diff and if i can run the standerdback end but with a lsd? any advice will be much appreciated

johnymd

Club Member
I considered the 2J but the 1J better suited my budget. I think they are both great engines and very similar for the purposes of carrying out the conversion. Most straight six conversions into 240's will be pretty easy due to the size of the engine bay and crossmember/stearing location. I found the 1J swap to be very straightforward indeed. The hardest part was the wiring and the lack of reliable info on it.

Hear are a few points to get you started:

1. The 1J engine mounts are a lot further back than the Z's. Throw away the entire Toyota mount and make up a template to go on the side of the block to allow a new mount location further forward. There are lots of holes in the block you can use. You will have to loose the PS and AC though.

2. You will have to cut off the old Z gearbox mount to fit the Toyota box in the tunnel. Even then it's pretty tight. You could also do a bit of panel beating for when you need to get the box out later. Make a new mount to just bolt through the floor using a spreader plate.

3. Read my build thread and ask any questions.

Good luck.

mark240z

Well-Known Forum User
just read your thread john very impressive, soon as ive rounded up the parts i need i mite be asking you a few questions if thats ok, so how is youre car coming on now did you sort out the diff ratio?