280ZX up for auction

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
The auction house obviously don't want to commit themselves judging by the use of inverted commas and the dual "apparently" in the description.

Mr.G

Club Member
Well spotted Nigel, but auction houses quite often never want to commot themselves, they are not the seller they are just a venue. Note that it also states that "The vendor" considers it to be all of those things... Not them.

JK240

Club Member
I think the vendor in this case is Duncan (Z Farm) and its a good looking car too for not much money

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Looks tidy. Did you see the Audi Quattro and Elan - cheap cars!

I might have a trip up to Buxton, God's country. I know it well from my years living in North Staffs and rallying in Derbyshire.

Wife comes from Werrington near Leek.

Riddler, if I got I'll let you know.

Mr.F

Inactive
I can vouch for this one as it passed through here recently. Really nice leather retrim of interior, virtually all new OEM exterior panels (inc. new rear quarters and underfloor chassis rails) when it was restored ('late '90s, not '80s as stated). New bumper irons.
Has uprated anti-roll bar set fitted.
Impressive example and worth far more than the guide price! If you have a hankering for a quality 280ZX coupe, this is the one.

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
Some of the guide prices at this Auction are just barmy -
the Elan will certainly go for double their estimate;
the TR7 will be lucky to reach a third of that estimate
the Quattro is underpriced by at least one-third

I suspect that it is a bit of a ruse to get Punters to go to try to 'steal' something very cheap on the day - but that seldom happens.
Whatever estimate the Sellers indicate on the Entry Forms does not translate to the Auction Catalogue - it is the Auction House's idea of Market Value, and a rather dubious one at times.

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
H and H are actually a very good auction house - I have attended their auctions on many occasions and they are not often far out with their estimates.

However, I have seen some great cars go very cheap - quite often I have come away thinking "I wish I had bid on that". I have also seen cars go for more than double their estimate if there are two or three people all wanting it and a bidding war starts. It all makes fascinating watching.

About 10 years ago I was there and a lovely looking 240Z came up for auction. It was a very unusual colour - two tone metallic pale green and silver with rostyle-type wheels that had been sprayed gold. Sounds a bit horrific but it actually looked the business.

From memory it only had about 36,000 miles on it and it went for an incredible price - around £7000-£8000 I think.

Anyone know where it ended up? Has anyone in the club got it?

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Went to the auction today - thought you might like to know that the 280ZX sold for £2,800 (right on the estimate which was £2000-£3000). Had a good look at it - the driver's side carpet seemed a little damp but otherwise it seemed in good nick.
The most frenzied bidding on the day was for a 1972 Lotus Elan Sprint (see lot 13 on the link in my first post) which was in pretty good condition though needed a decent re-paint. The estimate was £6000-£8000 but with three people on the floor interested in it and a couple on the phone, a bidding war broke out which saw it finally sell for £14,500!
So Duncan was right with his prediction on that one!
However, the Quattro only reached £3,800 which was accepted as a provisional bid, but I did not stay to see if that was accepted by the owner (unlikely I think) and sold.
The TR7 rally car was bid to £42,000 and not sold.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Rob, I've looked on their website:

280ZX £3136 so the charges have bumped it up a bit.

Elan £16,385

Quattro and TR7 Not Sold

Quite a few cars did sell though so the market seems healthy.

If that 280ZX was a 240Z in the same condition what do you reckon £12k ?

fae821w

Club Member
Auction at Buxton-fae821w.

Hi,

I have to tell a story about this car.

Back in the 1970,s i wanted a 240z but being 23 was told to forget it by insurance companies until i was 25.In 1981 having saved enough i decided i needed to buy a "z"before i got married.The 280zx was then being produced,so i ordered a new one from Datsun in Bristol.The car was everything i hoped for so it was heartbreaking to sell it when funds were needed for renovations to my first house.

Recently after watching a program on BBC Four about British sportscars,it mentioned the Austin Atlantic which i,d never heard of.
I googled it and found one about to sell at auction,however there was as well a 280zx listed on the same website so i viewed that just to see what they fetched today.
Can you imagine my surprise when it turned out to be my old car,fae821w,being sold at Buxton Auction!!.
So after six kids,paying off my mortgage,and 31 years,yesterday i bought it and brought it back home.
Outside a chap told me he was going to bid up to £4500 for it,but as he bought the Porsche in a previous Lot he never bidded.He reckons i got a steal,i told him i was prepared to go alot higher due to sentimental value,so he had no chance!.
The car is in good nick,needs some work of course,the worst being sorting the exhaust(choked me all the way back to Gloucestershire),it also needs a spare wheel if someone knows where there,s one.
Thanks to all those on here who gave me info on its condition,it convinced me to travel to buy.
Will get things sorted and hopefully meet up with other members in the future.
Its true,when you get "Z,s" in you,its for life,and this one is staying with me!!!.
Andy.

JK240

Club Member
Now thats a great story, welcome to the club Andy. Enjoy your new old car and hope to see you at an event sometime :thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yep, to us our Zs are more than just old cars.

A great story and I'm so glad you looked on here. It shows that Z enthusiasts know where to look.

I hope it's as good as it looks and performs as well as you remembered (school reunions and all that ;) )

So glad it has got a good home. :thumbs:

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
A fantastic end to the thread I started on here!
I saw you buy it - you were with a younger person who I assumed might be your son. I thought you might be buying the car for him, as you didn't look like dealers!
Didn't realise you were after it for yourself.
Enjoy the car - it was meant to be!