280ZX Turbo

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Well if it's good enough for Paul Newman ;)
Just arrived from sunny CA and definitely a keeper for the Datsun collection, smitten.

This is the car to make sceptics revise their opinion on the ZX. Yes, put on a bit of spread and not as pretty as the clean lined earlier 240Z but the 2 seater is still a striking looking car and with 180bhp quick enough to see off any factory standard Z from earlier years.

1982 2 seater 280ZX Turbo T Top, just two owners and 50k miles from new
0-60 in 7 secs in comfort with refinements, what's not to like ?
Timewarp condition. All original paint and looks exactly as it did when left the factory.

Perfect for European touring :driving: although slight problem as Mrs.Vega comments on first sight were less complimentary 'pimpmobile' (bit harsh as not even the red velour and dash version) and 'poo brown' spring to mind followed by you'll be going on your own - result there then :lol:
OK, so the gold wheel arch trim may be just a step too far but that aside, I love this car.

Huw

Club Member
Mmmm loving that a lot but then I would as I'm biased. Nice find there Mr Vega. Your right about the wheel arch trim tho, that's got to go. I do like that. Those turbo wheels are great on a 2 seater.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
It's a ZX, it's brown and it's an auto......with white-wall tyres......

Mrs Vega has good taste...well, not perhaps in men but she's maybe saddled with you so I'd trust (mostly) her judgement !:D

BTW, Romain hasn't had a reply from you yet and he'll be over this coming weekend - look after the lad for me will you please. He has taste - he has an R32 GTR and wants a 240Z.

richiep

Club Member
I saw this car yesterday. It is stunning in every way. Embrace the brown and auto - the condition trumps all. It has clearly had two very OCD previous owners because it looks nearly new. Blown away TBH. You would be hard pressed to find a better original 280zx anywhere. Period.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
The turbo is best suited to Auto anyway - quicker to 60 and less lag :p

White lettering on a tyre does not a whitewall make :p

Brown is coming back in, period correct, be bold, a trend setter, not a follower :p To be honest it looked more bronze in Cali sunshine as you can see, picks up sparkle in paint finish, back in gloomy UK it is brown.

Ped

Club Member
Love it! Does the cruise control work? I assume it has AC too. What's not to like, you just need the right tash and medallion! Far out!

AndyMinto

Inactive
I have a Janspeed Turbo that is based on the Yank spec car. It even has the gold and black Turbo rocker cover. If you lift the boost a bit and ensure the engine is sorted you can get quicker than 0 to 60 in 7 secs. Mine will do 0 to 100 in just over 11 secs!

Oh and the comments on the auto are right. The yank box improvements makes a real difference. I understand the comments about the interior but I am lucky, mine is red leather.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I've had the opportunity to drive an OEM turbo from Paris up to Spa and back.....and can confirm that it is a superb cross-continent GT.

johnymd

Club Member
I think the colour is great. Real period colour and came back into fashion a few years ago. You only need to look at new car colours as they really know what is in fashion. Bmw mini are a good one to watch. They produced a very popular convertable in this colour and have also used colours very similar to Datsun 70's colours in the last couple of years.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
No plans to sell at the moment Sean as per original post ;)
One for the Z collection, will be used and enjoyed for shows, weekends, Euro trips.

fae821w

Club Member
Great looking car Chris, would love to park my standard spec British 2-seater alongside to compare the cars and see the differences. Been to a lot of classic car shows with mine but, apart from Japfest, only seen 240z & 260z. Missed Huw,s car again this year, but hopefully next year.

Can you post more pictures please including under the bonnet etc.

( Huw, several people have told me of seeing a "great looking blue tinted silver 280zx" in
the Bristol area.)

Andy.