280zx, retro IMSA widebody RHD

uk66fastback

Club Member
Annoys me when people put this:

"Having tested a small area, I reckon half a day with a polishing wheel should restore the gloss."

Well, do it then! Half a day, jeez ...

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Annoys me when people put this:

"Having tested a small area, I reckon half a day with a polishing wheel should restore the gloss."

Well, do it then! Half a day, jeez ...

Yep. Bit like 'just needs the carbs adjusting - easy fix' !

Huw

Club Member
I’d be more concerned about that big hole in the scuttle than the paint work. If there is a hole there you can bet your backside there will be rot in the inner wings and lower chassis rails.

IceHawk

New Forum User
Hi guys, long time lurker, finally signed up after noticing this post.

I've always wanted an S30 or S130, and so I just bought this car. Its also the first car i've ever bought, and I've much to learn. I'm a mechanically minded person, and like working on things myself, but the negative reactions in this thread worry me.

I haven't gone down to see the car or pay for it yet. Be honest with me, how bad a decision was this for £4500?

Kind Regards

Last edited:

IceHawk

New Forum User
Thanks, I'm just worried about how much love it'll need to get on the road. The seller made it sound like it just needs some fresh tyres, brake pads, small repairs and some welding. Seeing a 15 second long video of the engine start up and run is something, but doesnt do a whole lot to assure me of anything other then 'it can start'.

I've got a friend who probably knows a good mechanic, hopefully i can take him down with me to have a propper look at the car. I know i really should have done that Before clicking buy - but saw the price for a right hand drive manual, with black interior, nice wheels and a somewhat interesting body (minus the colour) and just felt like i had to at least give it a shot or i'd never move on from the rut im stuck in currently.

This is a significant purchase for me, and if the car ends up being a non runner I don't have a garage to store it in, so am worried about that potential issue. A few friends and family members are also not keen on this too which is adding to the pressue. If worst comes to worst i may have to back out of this, and that would make me feel like a terrible person as i've never gone back on my word before (a deals a deal, right?)

Last edited:

Matt Berry

Club Member
Take the most knowledgeable person you know with you to give the car a proper going over.
Do some homework on it so you also know what type of things to look for. If the seller gets a idea you’re a novice with the car he may bypass certain things that he knows you won’t pick up on. If there’s a lot more work that needs doing to it than what he’s saying then you can hinge your decision to back out on the fact it wasn’t advertised correctly, or get the price down to something that reflects what’s needed to get the car how it should be.

Huw

Club Member
Mechanically the 280ZX is easy. It’s the bodywork that’s the issue.

From the photos on eBay, to me there looks to be a rust hole on the drivers side inner wing/scuttle panel by the bonnet stopper. That’s not a filler job. You will need a body shop to repair that if you are not competent at body repair as you will need to remove the wing to fix. It will require a fabricated piece as panels are not available for that.

If you can get underneath, I would suggest check the chassis rails directly under the pedal box and footwell/fire wall where it starts to slopes upwards for corrosion. Also check the rear chassis rails around the hand brake assembly. This is another common area to rot.

Inner wings and bottom of the Door hinge pillar and inner sill return are another common area to go.

Also check the bottom of the doors for holes and repairs, same for the tailgate bottom edge.

I’m not trying to put you off. But you do need to be mindful what you may buy.

They are great cars but do suffer with rot.

Huw

IceHawk

New Forum User
Unfortunately I found out after calling my housing association that i wont be able to park the car in our parking slot even if the car is SORN, so am unable to go ahead with the deal.

I should have done more research prior to buying, but made a mistake. Just to be absolutely clear the sellers listing was not misleading, and i'm the one in the wrong here.

I'm sorry for the trouble i've caused.