280ZX, Never ending rebuild

Huw

Club Member
Just thought I would share this. Engine bay and inner wings now all finished and sprayed in Nissan Silver 649. My 280 is now a little bit closer to being finished, now on with all the running gear. One way to spend a bank holiday. :D

Attachments

• DSCN3004_004Engine bay.JPG
    DSCN3004_004Engine bay.JPG
    744 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCN3005_005Engine bay.JPG
    DSCN3005_005Engine bay.JPG
    751.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Running gear_03.JPG
    Running gear_03.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 142

Huw

Club Member
Thanks, feedback like that keeps me going. Just the rear end to finish off and she is good for the spray booth. After that - engine and interior. Mind you at my current rate of rebuild, as I work away alot that could be at least another several years....:unsure:

AndyMinto

Inactive
It'll be great to get another 280ZX back on the road! They are so rare now, I believe the earlier cars are more abundant.

martinmac

Inactive
A project like this must give you great pride as each stage is completed, I dont have the knowledge and am not sure i would have the patience to carry it out.

Deep respect.

martinmac

Inactive
A project like this must give you great pride as each stage is completed, I dont have the knowledge and am not sure i would have the patience to carry it out.

Deep respect.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
looks like you are doing a very good job to a high standard.the front end looks mint !!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the suspension parts.

BenGT

Well-Known Forum User
that looks like a very high quality build you have there! Very impressive,.....good work!

Huw

Club Member
Its taking its time but, suspension is on. Just the wheel bearings to torque and It will be back on its wheels. I've swapped out the old reciprocating ball steering arrangement for a power rack and pinion. Thanks to the Z Farm for the rack. The steering column had to be changed also, as the original did bind with the new rack (always listen to Mr.F).

The front valance panels have been stripped and dipped, Hammerite rust remover dip works wonders. Once the wheels are on I can turn it around in the garage and sort out the rear

Attachments

• DSCN3014_008Engine bay.JPG
    DSCN3014_008Engine bay.JPG
    729.7 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN3011_007Engine bay.JPG
    DSCN3011_007Engine bay.JPG
    771 KB · Views: 62

Huw

Club Member
Well I've done all I can do (to the body), just awaiting the car to be picked up for spraying. Since last time I have:

• Stripped and recoated the underside, which is not much fun if you can't tip the car.
• In the process, found more rust around the rear chassis members where the handbrake assembly fits, so that all got cut off and new sections fabricated.
• Stripped and refurbished the rear suspension. Had the lot powder-coated before replacing all the rubber mounts with urethane.
• Replaced the springs, shocks, disks and bearings.
• Overhauled the diff (nothing really needed replacing after all)
• Finally sourced some replacement rear brake calipers, not that easy for a 1979 car.
• Replaced the passenger side door skin, I had patched the door originally but I have never been happy with it. While I was at it I did the drivers side also, not as difficult as I imagined.
• Cut out the rear lower valance panel and replaced it with a new panel. The exhaust now exits on the nearside as per later 280ZX’s. This will make exhaust replacement a lot cheaper, especially in stainless.

Once the car has gone for painting I can get at the engine, which has been languishing on a stand in a dark corner of the garage for far too long. I was originally just going to do a top end rebuild, but following some of the engine threads, I think I will be better off stripping it completely.

That’s all for now here’s just a couple of pixs,

Attachments

• DSCN3019_010bits.JPG
    DSCN3019_010bits.JPG
    563.6 KB · Views: 45
  • backend_3.JPG
    backend_3.JPG
    826 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN3026_017rear.JPG
    DSCN3026_017rear.JPG
    762.9 KB · Views: 46
  • front_2_02.JPG
    front_2_02.JPG
    746.6 KB · Views: 52
  • front_1_02.JPG
    front_1_02.JPG
    747.2 KB · Views: 49

Huw

Club Member
Well Excited

Just had to share this, not very exciting for most, but I’ve been waiting a very long time for this day. My old bus has FINALLY gone to the body shop.

Can’t wait to see how it progresses and finally get her back all freshly painted, then the fun begins. I will be insufferable at home till then!!

The garage is so empty now, but looks smaller somehow......

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Attachments

• gone for paintin_1.JPG
    gone for paintin_1.JPG
    734.5 KB · Views: 109
  • gone for paintin_5.JPG
    gone for paintin_5.JPG
    744.5 KB · Views: 96
  • gone for paintin_7.JPG
    gone for paintin_7.JPG
    685.5 KB · Views: 106
  • gone for paintin_9.JPG
    gone for paintin_9.JPG
    702.6 KB · Views: 99

candy red

Club Member
Well done Huw I know that feeling you have now ,But when you get it back looking great you will the be worrying about scratching it when your put it back together good luck and lets see pic when it comes back p.s what colour are you going for.:thumbs::thumbs:

Huw

Club Member
Hi Derrick. Will do, she will keep her original colour off silver with a hint of blue.